*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

leisure battery/solar charging

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

leisure battery/solar charging

Postby pir8ped » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am

Hi,

I've spent some time living off grid, getting my electricity from some Trojan deep cycle batteries charged with solar panels through a controller. I'd like something similar for my newly acquired Transit.

The Transit has two batteries under the driver's seat. I'd like to install a deep cycle battery, and have that charged from the alternator and also charged via a solar panel with a controller (I want to run laptops, fridge, lights for days at a time without running the engine). I want to replace the second (non-starting) battery currently in place with a deep cycle battery.

I see that Ford supplies a deep cycle battery - does anyone know the cost of that? And has anyone found a cheaper or better alternative?

I'm guessing that when the engine is running, the two batteries are charged in parallel, and when the engine is stopped, the batteries are isolated from each other. I'm thinking of leaving all the battery connections as they are, but adding the output from the solar controller to the deep cycle battery. Can anyone see a problem with that?

Thanks in advance. I'm new here, but I've searched through the threads looking for these answers.
2013 MK7 T330 FWD
pir8ped

Re: leisure battery/solar charging

Postby JayKay3000 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 pm

I saw your post. I can't really help a whole lot. But my 2cents.

I dunno about ford parts, but any leisure battery (deep cycle) for caravans will work for your needs it's what I got in mine.

I didn't do the work, but my leisure battery is charge by the vans alternator and there is a cut off switch in the cab.

The setup will be exactly the same as used by any camper van, just put in a small van.

I can't tell you how long my battery lasts because it just powers up to four led lights and a small cool box.
JayKay3000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 4x4 tranny » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi
Well first you have to work out what sort of off power supply you want? Meaning how long you want to stay off grid so to speak (not plugged in to power).
Then work out how many amps your appliances are using ( fridge lights comuters phones etc, etc.)
Then you will know what size battery storage you well require.
After sorting that then need to work out your sun lights hours a day you get ( guessing in England be far less than like here in Australia, where most the
Time can get 6 hours a day on average as a usable charging time.)
Then you will know whats wattage panels you be needing. Simple....hahaha. not!
Im just going through this exercise, and with what appliances I have and the period of off road power I would like, it appears ill need 4 100AMP batteries, with 500 watts of panel power. Two problems im facing are one weight? Second roof space for panels.
So at this stage trying to find panels to fit round objects (like vents antenna) plus using Mobile panels so can be left in sun when vans in shade.
Deciding what batteries to use to reduce weight Lithiam but very expensive.
Have just descovered if you interested about lead crystal batteries same weight as gel but, have longer life, can be dead flattened with out killing there life span ive been told, also recharge a lot quicker.
Well not sure if Ive helped in any way, or confuse d you more, but thats basically the guts of trying to sort solar power for off grid camping, as I am lead to believe.
Good luck.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 pm

get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Battery-Is ... 1468472062
and put it between the positives of both batteries. that will ensure you can always start the van. it enables around 13.4 and disables around 12.7v.
hook up the solar on the aux side. if that one is getting full the relay will trip and also enable the starter battery until both batteries are full. that way you will also use both batteries to start easing the load on them during starting if you mount the solar on the roof permanently.
i do recommend replacing both batteries with identical ones. just get the biggest cadmium (this is important) semi-traction batteries you can cram in the box.

do NOT use regular starter batteries!

bigger is better but make sure you get cadmium semi-traction. cadmium have very low self discharge and are more efficent to charge and semi traction so you don't destroy the battery with a few hard discharges.

also: ensure you have a mppt charger that --->floats<--- the batteries at 13.8v and not higher. most float them at 14v+ wich kills the batteries in less then 2 years. spend your money en effort in getting a good solar controller that you know for sure has 13.8v float voltage.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions