Transitmania 10 @Santa Pod 18th to 20th May 2018

Custom build

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Custom build

Postby Splash Carpentry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:56 am

We are planning to use a very sophisticated laser scanning system and create a 3D model for every type of van that is sold on the U.S. market. If we succeed, we will have a database with over a hundred models and we will be able to create everything from shelving to cabinets and even bed frames that would fit perfectly. Please let us know what your thoughts are, your feedback is very important to us. Thank you in advance, the Splash Carpentry team.

Video spot:
http://bit.ly/2yzGIeP
Splash Carpentry

Re: Custom build

Postby Beaker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I think that is a brilliant idea, and to be honest, I'm suprised that no-one has done it sooner. To have all the critical dimensions for each variant of van, stored in a computer 3D model that your design software can utilise, would make planning and designing a breeze.

A CNC router would make short work of cutting all the furniture components needed - even if they were to one-off requirements.

One of the things that frustrated me when looking to convert my own van was the lack of options available. Loads of companies offering basically exactly the same thing. The only options being different veneers, colours etc. Everything all ends up looking the same with the same layouts used all the time.

Doing it your way, if a customer does not want a rock and roll bed for example you can still use your 3D model to suggest alternative layouts,bed positions and sizes, kitchen and cupboard sizes and shapes, that you will be able to guarantee will work, and all before you cut a thing.

I wish you all the best. :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jonnyboy1958 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Well said Beaker, most t4/t5's look exactly the same inside.
Transit swb 2001 t260 Campervan fwd 2.0
jonnyboy1958
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 am

As Beaker has said before...
Me I am not a computer expert.... but...
It would be wonderful for DIY to buy furniture that really fits.
The time that you could save on measuring and fitting...
The time it took me to fit out my camper....
If you could chose different layouts or it would be possible, they make the furniture, to your own ideas/drawings would make it even better.
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
I have only some general knowledge, I am certainly not a Transit expert :?
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Splash Carpentry » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you for your feedback! I talked to many people and everybody sees this idea differently. I think we will
organize and prepare to customize and be very flexible.
Splash Carpentry

Return to Camper vans and conversions