*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1978 mk 1 camper

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: 1978 mk 1 camper

Postby walt1984 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 am

Also fitted a slim line fan in front of radiator.
Camper is mainly used for steam rallys in summer.
Its never boiled but driving slow round show field and arena can get it warm and will stop if left ticking over then restarting can be a problem and embarrassing.
Think this is because of engine been a V with inlet and water manifold been one casting and the air filter holding heat and evaperating petrol in carb.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Couple of photos of new fan and External gauges. only problem is the fuel gauge dosent work with the transit sender in the tank and read 3/4 full when close to empty.
Wire rad fan up to a toggle switch via a relay and used one of the factory holes in the dash.
Cheapo reserving camera of eBay makes backing into tight spots easier.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T285 using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby les stroumfs » Mon May 06, 2019 12:46 am

very nice I dream to get the same result!
les stroumfs

Postby walt1984 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 am

I think a update is due.
2019 was abit busy for me and I only did 2 shows that year and 2020, well its 2020.
The uprated alternator pulley started breaking up and eate the belt when I was bring camper home to be cleaned last july.
So new alternator fitted, oil and filter changed and even got round to painting back wheels.
Drivers side manifold is blowing again we think this is due to the mating face of the manifold has worn thin on one side but got a pair off a breaker near Blackburn.
5 years later I was back to looking at seats, if you dont want to trawl back through the thread to see in a nut shell I wanted to seat 3 in the cab but original mk1/2 low back passenger seats are rare so ended up with VW T4 drivers and passenger seats.
The drivers seat base needed 10mm cutting out of it to allow for the rib in the cab floor but the passenger seat needed more work.
People said they could make brackets to make the seat fit but it never happened.
I've ended up mounting the passenger on 3 pieces of 50mm x 75mm box section.
Painted the cab floor with a close match rustolium.
The guy I bought the passenger seat off had stuck that stretchy wall carpet stuff on the base and the glue was hard to clean up, ened up using petrol to soften it then rub off with rags.
I've still got the lap belt to match the LDV belts that I fitted a few years ago.
The main reason I went for vw seats was because they were the only seats I knew about that had folding passenger seats.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Surfraider » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:51 am

Amazing to see her still going. Remember as a kid my parents owned this one for 17 years in the mid 80s & 90s. Spent most of its time taking us to Polzeath in Cornwall and picking me up from school. Saw it at Biggin Hill air show many many years ago.
Surfraider

Postby walt1984 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:57 pm

Surfraider wrote:Amazing to see her still going. Remember as a kid my parents owned this one for 17 years in the mid 80s & 90s. Spent most of its time taking us to Polzeath in Cornwall and picking me up from school. Saw it at Biggin Hill air show many many years ago.

Havnt been on here for ages.
That's amazing !
Yes the campers still about but parked up while I've been saving for a house, hoarding new parts for the camper and also building a shed for it to be worked on.
I'll keep you up dated when I start working on it again.
Don't suppose you have any photos of the camper when your family owned it?
Would be a great addition for when it's back at shows and steam rallies.
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions