*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cornish camper conversion

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Cornish camper conversion

Postby fletchyfletch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 am

robert1710 wrote:could you tell me where to find the gearbox turret please for dash conversion

I got mine from eBay but they're usually quite expensive there because they're new parts. Your best bet is calling round all the scrappies and asking if they'll split the gear box from a Mk7. Most won't do this and the ones who do will probably charge you a lot of money. Keep trying and you'll find a scrappy where the gear box is knackered and they'll happily sell you the turret for a good price. Most will send by post as well so don't limit yourself to local scrap yards.
Ford Transit Mk7 FWD SWB 2011 2.2 litre
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:38 pm

The front end repair looks good, did you sort the inner wing rust and door step rust out,

£75 to buy the van back I good plus money from insurance bonus. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fletchyfletch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm

nedforceone wrote:The front end repair looks good, did you sort the inner wing rust and door step rust out,

£75 to buy the van back I good plus money from insurance bonus. N

That picture was just where I'd tacked it all on to get measurements for missing brackets etc. The welding was done afterwards by the local garage. I should've prepped it myself and made templates for them because it came back a little out of shape and very guessed, although very solid. As soon as I have a bit of room for welding I'll be ripping everything out and starting again with genuine wings and wheel arches.
The door step was patched by the garage but i'll be cutting the entire step out and replacing it as well. The good news is that everything else is in really solid shape!
Next job is to order some steel square section and make a start on the rock n roll bed. I'll be making my own hinges for that.
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby robert1710 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm having trouble with speedo and the wireing on the hazard switch can you give me some advice
robert1710

Postby fletchyfletch » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:55 pm

robert1710 wrote:I'm having trouble with speedo and the wireing on the hazard switch can you give me some advice

What's wrong with the speedo?
There are two ways of doing the switch.
I chopped the mk6 button up so that I could glue the mk7 button "face" directly on to it. The mk6 buttons fit into the mk7 holes.

The other way is using the entire mk7 switch with relays. I can't remember who did that. Paul2012, Punto or Ake I think. I'm on the phone at the moment. If I remember later on I'll whack some links on here for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby steviebee » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:43 pm

(I bet some fibreglass handywork and a bit of paint could get you a mk6 dash with a mk7 gear lever!)

I think this has aready been done and posted on here. I am sure someone can come up with a link!
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fletchyfletch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:46 pm

steviebee wrote:
fletchyfletch wrote:(I bet some fibreglass handywork and a bit of paint could get you a mk6 dash with a mk7 gear lever!)

I think this has aready been done and posted on here. I am sure someone can come up with a link!

I'd love to see that! I also heard that there was a very late, experimental Mk6 that had a factory dash mounted gear stick. Annoyingly the post where they found the original image is about 8 years old and the image link has long gone!
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby steviebee » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:49 pm

I will try to find the pics of it, but am useless at photobucket!
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fletchyfletch » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:51 pm

It's been a very long time but Next week I plan to finish off my conversion.
I only ever got as far as insulating and carpeting the walls and since then I've been through about 4 different designs but I've finally settled on this one...

fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fletchyfletch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:55 pm

After spending most of the week sorting out insulation and rust issues I managed to get the rock'n'roll bed made up.
This is a semi permanent version until I've learned to be not so dangerous with a welder! Not quite as polished but it'll serve a similar purpose.

fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fletchyfletch » Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 am

Oops

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the cill and side panel. A bit worried about warping the panels though. Any welders here who think it's worth a shot?
It's just such a faultless van structurally and engine wise that it would be a massive shame to take it to the scrappy.

At this rate ill have a completely new van after all the replacements!
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fletchyfletch » Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 pm

I could always put a second side door in!
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions