*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Bifuel LPG question..

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Transit Bifuel LPG question..

Postby RockyR07 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Hello all, i have been wondering.......i have a Bifuel transit which uses LPG to run the engine and i am in the process of converting the van into a camper.....Now i am going to be getting LPG gas inside the van too for the fridge and hob, but thought is it possible to make use of the LPG system already there with the van and run a feed off the tank under the van?
Has anyone done this before or thought of it? i am sure i am not the first.....probably wont be the last either.....

I have a feeling its possible in theory but not in practice.......any ideas or help please?

Many thanks

Rocky.
RockyR07
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Transit Bifuel LPG question..

Postby robbie.cee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:00 am

In theory is possible. You would need some sort of condenser where liquid gas gets stored mod way before drawn off as gas to engine...
Can get a propane carburettor but not sure how youd fix to engine
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RockyR07 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Would it not be possible to just put a valve in from the existing LPG tank on the van out to the fridge or hob inside the van?
I dont ever see a point where i would be running both the engine and things inside the van at the same time.

Is the gas used to run the engine not the same sort of stuff bought in the portable bottles then?

Cheers for your response

Rocky.
RockyR07
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:14 pm

RockyR07 wrote:Would it not be possible to just put a valve in from the existing LPG tank on the van out to the fridge or hob inside the van?
I dont ever see a point where i would be running both the engine and things inside the van at the same time.

Is the gas used to run the engine not the same sort of stuff bought in the portable bottles then?

Cheers for your response

Rocky.

No. The gas is the same, but the method with which it leaves the tank is different

The van draws the gas as a liquid from low in the tank to the vaporiser where it is converted to a gas for combustion

To use the gas directly in cooking appliances you would need a top draw off connection on the tank and then a regulator
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby RockyR07 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 pm

No. The gas is the same, but the method with which it leaves the tank is different

The van draws the gas as a liquid from low in the tank to the vaporiser where it is converted to a gas for combustion

To use the gas directly in cooking appliances you would need a top draw off connection on the tank and then a regulator[/quote]

Ahhh i see, well it was a thought. Thank you for the advice.
RockyR07
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Lpgc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Seems like someone phoned me to pick brains and then repeated what I said in this thread :lol:

SImon
Lpgc

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:13 pm

in theory you could have 2 outlets on the same tank :idea: - i'm planning on using a mk6 transit LPG tank for my appliances in my camper but i will be cutting the outlet inside the tank so i draw the vapour off
i don't need it to run my engine as my van is diesel :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby trans-it-mad » Fri May 25, 2018 8:03 pm

ake wrote:
RockyR07 wrote:Would it not be possible to just put a valve in from the existing LPG tank on the van out to the fridge or hob inside the van?

Cheers for your response

Rocky.

To use the gas directly in cooking appliances you would need a top draw off connection on the tank and then a regulator

you just explained so simple, thank you now you changed my world of knowledge on gas.
respect!
MK6 LWB RWD BI-FUEL broom broom :lol:
trans-it-mad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Camper vans and conversions