*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Where tio stay overnight?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Where tio stay overnight?

Postby ceurieusneus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi all,
Just back from a 10 day's holiday in England and Wales. :)
Surprised off the prices of campings... 23£ and more, where I pay on average 15€ a night (out of season) in France. :mrgreen:
If you do not want to stay overnight on a campsite, lots of places are protected by high barriers. :mrgreen:
So, can anyone inform me, where to stay overnight, cheap, a bit safely, no facilities needed? :?
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Where tio stay overnight?

Postby Beaker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Staying overnight or for several nights, anywhere other than a camp site in England and Wales is a problem. As you say, many places have barriers to prevent members of the travelling community from moving in, and sometimes, staying for months.

Most car parks have either barriers or "No Overnight Parking" signs - sometimes both.

Most industrial estates where you can find a quiet spot in the evenings, have private security patrols who will probably move you on. Not the most attractive places to stay while on holiday anyway.

On the other hand, I know of one beautiful camping spot by the sea in South Devon, where the farmer who owns the fields charges £5 a night - with decent toilets and showers. It's not a "proper" campsite - you just turn up, let yourself in, leave when you want, and put the money in a box by the gate! It all relies on honesty and respect and not suprisingly, It's not well known about - everyone who does wants to keep it that way. There must be others dotted around the UK.

The lack of any municipal campsites in towns and villages around the UK is really what sets us apart from the continent.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wordsofpeace » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:17 pm

ceurieusneus wrote:Hi all,
Just back from a 10 day's holiday in England and Wales. :)
Surprised off the prices of campings... 23£ and more, where I pay on average 15€ a night (out of season) in France. :mrgreen:
If you do not want to stay overnight on a campsite, lots of places are protected by high barriers. :mrgreen:
So, can anyone inform me, where to stay overnight, cheap, a bit safely, no facilities needed? :?

More a problem is finding level ground! Park on a side street and you have the camber to contend with.
Yes, the UK is a difficult place for wild camping. Try Google wild camping UK....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wordsofpeace

Postby whitemice » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:05 pm

I like rural village Pub car parks after getting pissed,,,,,,,,,,, Scotland is ok rather than boring old police state England too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Postby walt1984 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:39 am

If camping around scarbough i found sea life center carpark is not owned by north yorkshire council so motorhomes are allowed to overnight.
Pub across the road and attended toilets with showers a short walk along sea front.
Parts of marine drive now allow campers overnight but if you reverse in the camper will be nose down and you have traffic driving passed.

Sent from my P330X using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Cheese Monkey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Can't remember the last time I paid for a campsite in the uk :shock:

Best bet is to turn up as late as poss, then be off as early as possible. In a new area we take a look at a detailed map and find somewhere quiet and out of the way. I know loads of places even round tourist hot spots 8) . But I'm not sharing on the Internet, quick way for barriers to go up.

Never been moved on. The warden at Stanage knocked on the side of the van at 5am once, then again at 10min later but I just ignored it and went somewhere else the next night.

Apply common sense and you'll be alright
98 Mk5 SWB MR Sold
03 Connect LWB sold
11 Mk7 350 140 Jumbo HR
Cheese Monkey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Cheese Monkey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 pm

In car parks that say no overnight parking providing you arrive after dark and leave before dawn you haven't technically stayed the night :lol:
98 Mk5 SWB MR Sold
03 Connect LWB sold
11 Mk7 350 140 Jumbo HR
Cheese Monkey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mealic » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:44 pm

If you ever get in to Plumpton , East Sussex. Nice pub The Plough .Overnight free with key for facilities. Would be nice if you imbibed in a couple of pints of Harveys and some home cooked cuisine. :)

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonochap » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:50 am

There are loads of groups that cover this, esp on Facebook, try camper overnight parking, on the internet there's camp in my back garden that throws up a good place for vans every once in a while :)

Pinto killing campernaut
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby trogg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:06 am

I have found hundreds of potential overnight stops, a lot of them are where the road has been 'straightened' but the old 'bend' is still there, although the truckers would probably bag them first :D

I've never use any of them overnight because I don't yet have a campervan but I'm prepared for when I do 8)

As has been said, there are lots of forums with information of where to go but people are reluctant to say on an open forum because if too many people use them you can guarantee the local authority will stop it, as an example, there were 2 seafront sites either side of Blackpool but it ended up being full of campers and motorhomes 24/7 so it got stopped.

perhaps post on here next time you come over and we'll see what we can find .
Boing Boing
trogg
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby vampirequeen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:39 am

We've been away several time this year and never paid for camping. Look out for rural car parks and laybys off the main roads. We've also stayed on industrial estates with no problem.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Plenty of places to "Wild" ...even south of the border (Wild camping is perfectly legal in Scotland providing you don't cause a nuisance or camp on private land,Though it DOESN'T cover motor homes and camper vans though, those are mostly tolerated)

Most important thing is to use a bit of careful thought as to where you are going to stop for the night ...I try to find spots away from main roads and away from houses etc ...try not to join other big groups that are already parked up as that's just going to get folks backs up .
Arrive late and depart early ...and don't make it look like you are camped there for the weekend ...table and chairs out,awning folded out and kids toys etc scasttered around .
Make sure any rubbish is tidied away and removed with you when you leave .
Weve had some cracking camping spots ....

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Mistericeman - I couldn't not comment and say you've camped in some amazing places :D
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:21 pm

GuyT wrote:Mistericeman - I couldn't not comment and say you've camped in some amazing places :D

Thanks for the very kind comments.... I consider myself very lucky to have camped in some of the places we have found....
My only regret buying the transit.....

that I didn't do it years ago,freedom is a very precious commodity

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Lovely photos .... but you're really not helping!! :lol: I'd leave this office right now tbh and step out and off the grid for a while and live looking at those views. The middle ground is buying my first van as more of a day van/overnighter with the kids and its swb for practicality but long term :D :D ..... It looks like you've have some great adventures and you cant beat an OS map, I absolutley love them.
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions