*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My 1st conversion. Mk6 mwb semi high top camper van/day van.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: My 1st conversion. Mk6 mwb semi high top camper van/day

Postby tmm » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:12 am

I'm on looking for a good affordable gas hob but there is so many to choose from and so many price differences. I would ideally like a 3 or 4 ring burner but the kitchen work top area i have made is only 40cm deep i'm beginning to think this could be one of my many mistakes i have mad along the way.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 am

If your looking for cheap I got this on ebay for £17.50 new.

I'only allowed 40cm +/- for my work surface. Its enough room though it just needs to be kept organised. Which I'm not very [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I have room for a cooker some work surface and a small sink.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:15 pm

The hob formed an inportant part of my space saving plan, so I went off piste with this.

After twenty years of estate car and tent camping in Europe, especially Scandinavia, I got thouroughly sick of gas. I have a very similar gas hob to that, and it works fine - but only on Campingaz. They won't work on higher pressure gas bottles. With all the problems of trying to find a replacement bottle when you run low (You are fine in France but screwed most other countries) I looked at alternatives. I considered LPG, but again it's a space hog, and you still need to track down filling stations that have it.

Instead I have opted for a Swedish Origo dual alcohol burner - the yachtsman's favourite. It's made to run on bottles of Bio-ethanol, which is available in just about every petrol station shop, camp site shop, camping store and supermarket on the continent. It will run on British meths if neccessary, but that smells pretty bad, so best avoided. Bio-ethanol is an easy score off ebay these days, and more and more UK camping shops stock it.

Instead of a dirty great heavy gas bottle, you only need a few half litre bottles of Bio-eth, that can be easily stored behind the panels and off you go. Admittedly it is a more expensive option to begin with, but I'll cut corners elsewhere.

Here's the stove:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-2-Burn ... B002BVYK16
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 am

Basic frames done which were a bit of a chow on but got there in the end. Now to add the boards.
Kitchen sink and hob unit.
20161219_140845.jpg

Frame for the fridge, microwave and blow heater which will fit into the bottom of the unit.
20161219_140854.jpg

Bed
20161219_140951.jpg

20161219_141014.jpg

Side corner unit
20161219_141043.jpg

Just bought a folding door for the toilet
only £20 from Agros
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7014020? ... 0woddMYFlA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:44 pm

How many vents would you all recommend putting into the van walls?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:49 am

Beaker wrote:The hob formed an inportant part of my space saving plan, so I went off piste with this.

After twenty years of estate car and tent camping in Europe, especially Scandinavia, I got thouroughly sick of gas. I have a very similar gas hob to that, and it works fine - but only on Campingaz. They won't work on higher pressure gas bottles. With all the problems of trying to find a replacement bottle when you run low (You are fine in France but screwed most other countries) I looked at alternatives. I considered LPG, but again it's a space hog, and you still need to track down filling stations that have it.

Instead I have opted for a Swedish Origo dual alcohol burner - the yachtsman's favourite. It's made to run on bottles of Bio-ethanol, which is available in just about every petrol station shop, camp site shop, camping store and supermarket on the continent. It will run on British meths if neccessary, but that smells pretty bad, so best avoided. Bio-ethanol is an easy score off ebay these days, and more and more UK camping shops stock it.

Instead of a dirty great heavy gas bottle, you only need a few half litre bottles of Bio-eth, that can be easily stored behind the panels and off you go. Admittedly it is a more expensive option to begin with, but I'll cut corners elsewhere.

Here's the stove:

Beaker would something like this pass with the dvla?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 am

Fitted the floor vinyl today while having a little break from boarding all the units.
20161229_122050.jpg

20161229_121527.jpg

20161229_122103.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Been busy with the units and everything seems to be coming along pretty good now. Used 6mm caravan board which i picked up local for 10 per sheet. Does anyone know what the router bit is called that is used to cut the groove in the wood to put the t trim in?
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 am

Yeah, no problem with the DVLA - they only specify a two or more burner hob, screwed down to the unit. There are a bunch of regs concerning gas and LPG, but nothing concerning alcohol stoves. The theory is that they are much safer which is why they are preferred by yachtsmen.

tmm wrote:
Beaker wrote:The hob formed an inportant part of my space saving plan, so I went off piste with this.

Here's the stove:

Beaker would something like this pass with the dvla?
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 am

That woodworking is awesome mate, way above anything I could hope to achieve! :D :mrgreen: :D

Do you mean a slot cutter router bit like this?

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Beaker wrote:That woodworking is awesome mate, way above anything I could hope to achieve! :D :mrgreen: :D

Do you mean a slot cutter router bit like this?

Cheers mate. I'm sure you can do just as good, Its surprising what you can do when you have a few cheap tools and a shed to work in.
Yeah that the part i'm after mate
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:09 am

Quick update on the van. Electrics are now all wired in and working. I have also added some trim to the edges of the units. I cut strips of plywood and covered them with fablon wood effect paper to save on money. Hopefully within the next week i should have the doors ready to go on. I have decided to try and put the t trim on the doors myself which should be fun.
Added a little unit in the corner for the toilet to slide into.
IMG_0025.JPG

May add a sink to the top of the same unit?
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Bit later than i thought but eventually got around to doing the doors. Got the wood free which was a great bonus and though i would have a go at putting the trim on myself which saved me a fortune. Very happy how its coming along now.
20170214_150757.jpg

20170214_150930.jpg

20170214_151048.jpg

20170214_150725.jpg

20170214_150841.jpg

Just ordered some of these push button door catches which i think is a great buy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252505401372? ... EBIDX%3AIT
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transit-town » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:28 am

Anymore progress??
transit-town
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 am

transit-town wrote:Anymore progress??

Hi
Yeah it coming along nice one. I have a few more photos to upload its just finding the time to hunt them out and get them on here. Hopefully within the next week :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions