*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My 1st conversion. Mk6 mwb semi high top camper van/day van.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: My 1st conversion. Mk6 mwb semi high top camper van/day

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:30 pm

Anyone know if i have to build a sealed box with dropout vent to hold the gas bottle?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:39 pm

I'm not sure about "have to" but from what I've read its recommended.

Apparently it needs a continuous 5cm wall all around the bottom and build on that.

I think that because gas is heavier than air so having a sealed box with a sealed walled at the bottom and a drop out vent any gas that may leak leaves the van safely and doesnt wait for you to spark the stove up.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 pm

NickJ wrote:I'm not sure about "have to" but from what I've read its recommended.

Apparently it needs a continuous 5cm wall all around the bottom and build on that.

I think that because gas is heavier than air so having a sealed box with a sealed walled at the bottom and a drop out vent any gas that may leak leaves the van safely and doesnt wait for you to spark the stove up.

Cheers as always mate :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:58 pm

axxez wrote:Depends on some things.. Is there another person in the van, so u need "privacy"? If not - put it under the seats or the bed. If you only need optical privacy, use a curtain around it. In any other case: build a small room or let the person go outside the van / in the front area if seperated and on rainy / cold weather.

Just me and my lass really axxez and after 29 years together privacy is out the window :lol:
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:00 pm

dumper wrote:The layout on my jumbo is a bulkhead just after the slideing door with a door into the bedroom that has two 6 foot beds a second bulkhead with door to storeages for fishing gear in the daytime use toilet in bedroom at nighttime use it in the kitchen area for traveling it goes under sink in sinkunit

I wish i had bought a jumbo van now mate, much more room and less working out where to put things and what to add where.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:13 pm

tmm wrote:
dumper wrote:The layout on my jumbo is a bulkhead just after the slideing door with a door into the bedroom that has two 6 foot beds a second bulkhead with door to storeages for fishing gear in the daytime use toilet in bedroom at nighttime use it in the kitchen area for traveling it goes under sink in sinkunit

I wish i had bought a jumbo van now mate, much more room and less working out where to put things and what to add where.

Still bigger than my SWB mk6

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:32 am

NickJ wrote:
tmm wrote:

Still bigger than my SWB mk6

We all want a bigger one mate :lol:
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:14 pm

I think my next conversion will be an Iveco with a 4.6m box....
pretty much same lay out as our Jumbo is now (works perfect for us, though it won't suit everyone) BUT with the rear bulkhead (inside the back doors) a bit further away from the rear doors to give us space for a toilet compartment.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:44 pm

I would a loved a medium or long wheel based van, but living in a terraced street with a serious parking problem, and no option for off-road parking, it just was not an option.
So it's SWB or nothing.

I know it's a serious lack of space inside, but my point of reference is still "Is it better than our tent?" As the answer always seems to be "yes", I'll take that. I just need to make sure that no space gets wasted.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Beaker wrote:I would a loved a medium or long wheel based van, but living in a terraced street with a serious parking problem, and no option for off-road parking, it just was not an option.
So it's SWB or nothing.

I know it's a serious lack of space inside, but my point of reference is still "Is it better than our tent?" As the answer always seems to be "yes", I'll take that. I just need to make sure that no space gets wasted.

I'm not saying anything about parking ;-) I've the Transit/the military landrover and trailer along with my work 4m VW crafter.....
I'm very popular ;-).

BUT I fully agree that after tenting for so many years.... a camper van is a revelation.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Beaker wrote:I would a loved a medium or long wheel based van, but living in a terraced street with a serious parking problem, and no option for off-road parking, it just was not an option.
So it's SWB or nothing.

I am quite lucky with regards to parking as the house next door has been empty for the past 4 years so their drive has now become mine :D
I think that is the hardest part of converting a van trying to utilise every little space you can
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:53 pm

mistericeman wrote:
So it's SWB or nothing.

I'm not saying anything about parking ;-) I've the Transit/the military landrover and trailer along with my work 4m VW crafter.....
I'm very popular ;-).

BUT I fully agree that after tenting for so many years.... a camper van is a revelation.

Ah stuff them lol, If you get Christmas cards from them then you know they don't hate you that much :lol:
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 pm

tmm wrote:
So it's SWB or nothing.

I am quite lucky with regards to parking as the house next door has been empty for the past 4 years so their drive has now become mine :D
I think that is the hardest part of converting a van trying to utilise every little space you can

My biggest problem is not stuffing every space full.

Because my van is small I wanted it to be as open as possible and not have cupboards up the walls.

I've settled with shelves into the wall cavity area.

I've discovered a gap under the bed behind the storage boxes and I'm already thinking what I could fit in there.

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:59 pm

tmm wrote:
mistericeman wrote:
So it's SWB or nothing.

I'm very popular ;-).

Ah stuff them lol, If you get Christmas cards from them then you know they don't hate you that much :lol:

I find that my helping them out when they are stuck (gutters falling off/needing jump starts/the odd bit of welding etc.... smooths things over a tad ;-).... thankfully
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 am

NickJ wrote:
tmm wrote:
So it's SWB or nothing.

My biggest problem is not stuffing every space full.

Because my van is small I wanted it to be as open as possible and not have cupboards up the walls.

I've settled with shelves into the wall cavity area.

I've discovered a gap under the bed behind the storage boxes and I'm already thinking what I could fit in there.

Shelves are as good as anything mate and like you say it keeps the plan open :) I did read somewhere on the internet one of the main things to consider when buying or converting was storage storage storage as it will always get used.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions