*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My 1st conversion. Mk6 mwb semi high top camper van/day van.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: My 1st conversion. Mk6 mwb semi high top camper van/day

Postby 4x4 tranny » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am

Great job, its allways hard finding the right lay out for maximum storage and best usability.
Like the graphics, looks real smart.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 pm

4x4 tranny wrote:Great job, its allways hard finding the right lay out for maximum storage and best usability.
Like the graphics, looks real smart.

Thanks mate i really appreciate it :) Had some great advice from you all on the forum though :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:13 am

Remix wrote:Awesome work man

Thanks mate :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby billaricky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi there... I love the van. Great job.

I am working on one myself, but am not as skilled with the woodwork.

Looking through your old posts, and saw that you had fitted a roof vent.

tmm wrote:Been a little busy lately and never really had much time to get on with the van. Had a problem with the new roof vent leaking but hopefully after the 3rd attempt at fitting it, the leak should now be fixed. I've added some polystyrene sheets to the roof, added the carpeted roof panels over the sheets and finally fitted the lights. Hopefully i will have some more progress pictures at the weekend.
roof lights 1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

I wanted to do the same, but the ridges on the roof got me worried: how do you get the roof vent to fit (and not leak). ?

(Thanks for your help)
billaricky

Postby tmm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm

billaricky wrote:Hi there... I love the van. Great job.

tmm wrote:Been a little busy lately and never really had much time to get on with the van. Had a problem with the new roof vent leaking but hopefully after the 3rd attempt at fitting it, the leak should now be fixed. I've added some polystyrene sheets to the roof, added the carpeted roof panels over the sheets and finally fitted the lights. Hopefully i will have some more progress pictures at the weekend.
roof lights 1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

I wanted to do the same, but the ridges on the roof got me worried: how do you get the roof vent to fit (and not leak). ?

(Thanks for your help)

Hi
In the end i used silicone to stick flat pvc trim to the lower parts of the roof which then gave me a flat surface to work on, i also built a wood frame to the underside of the roof for something to screw the vent onto. If all else fails and for some reason it leaks you could put this over the edges http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashband-bos ... UQodRUMAKA
Last edited by tmm on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 pm

tmm wrote:

roof lights 1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

(Thanks for your help)

Hi
In the end i used silicone to stick flat pvc trim to the lower parts of the roof which then gave me a flat surface to work on, i also built a wood frame to the underside of the roof for something to screw the vent onto. If all else fails and for some reason it leaks you could put this over the edges http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashband-bos ... UQodRUMAKA

Oh and this is what most people recommend to seal vent to roof https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carav ... 5158321905
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby billaricky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm

That makes sense... I already have a roll of the flashband.... wonderful stuff!!

Thanks for your help
billaricky

Postby tmm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm

billaricky wrote:That makes sense... I already have a roll of the flashband.... wonderful stuff!!

Thanks for your help

Your welcome and good luck :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 pm

roof lights 1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

(Thanks for your help)

Fitted a Fiamma Turbovent 28 to mine a couple of weeks ago. Like tmm I made a wooden frame for the inside to fit between the roof of the van and my ceiling panel, fixed to the roof with 3M VHB tape. I cut the hole in the roof on the centreline, so the vent only sits on one of the ridges. However I built up the gaps either side with plenty of Sikaflex and it worked and sealed first time. Maybe I got lucky, but it was an awful lot easier and hassle/stress free than I thought it would be - once I eventually plucked up the courage to start cutting metal!

It's still leak free even after the last couple of days of rain so fingers crossed.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 pm

That's cracking, well done :)
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator