*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Moisture!!

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Moisture!!

Postby GuyT » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:15 am

Moisture, I know its been discussed before but wow, I'm guessing its not just me?

I stripped the van and have just started to insulate and I know its cold at the moment but the moisture inside is incredible, is there anything I can do to prevent this and how do I manage it moving forward. I opted for a stick on insulation from Harrisons trim (thanks for the input Beaker) and it super easy to install, cut to shape and off you go, stick it on - having washed and dried the panel prior to application. I'm told there is no need for vapour barrier once its installed. As I'm half way through you can see/feel there is less/no moisture on the insulated panels (where the insulation is now installed versus the still uninsulated panels). The insulation is only about 8mm thick so there is then space in the cavity for air flow once I have the van lining back in, which I think will help a little opposed to a 'celotex and foam' solution where there will be no cavity as the cavity is 'full'. I'm hoping a cavity may help with airflow and removal of moisture. I don't think there is a way of preventing the moisture, if there is please let me know, but how do you manage moisture to prevent rusting from the inside out, I guess its heaters on and windows open to allow air flow, would a roof vent help?

As always, suggestions and opinions appreciated.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Moisture!!

Postby Beaker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:14 pm

You've insulated with a material that has a built in vapour barrier. That will keep moisture from forming on the metal and causing rust to a minimum.

What you need to do now is control moisture build-up - effectively that means ventilation. There is no way you can prevent moisture, as we live in a damp climate, and everything you do in the van will generate moisture. A person breaths out around a pint of water vapour a day, and it also escapes from your skin. Burning gas or meths on a stove generates large amounts of water vapour, as does the water you are boiling and food you cook.

Heating a van is only a partial solution, as is only moves the condensation temperature (dew point) up - you still get the condensation when you turn the heating off.

So adequate ventilation is the next step. As you say, air gaps are a good idea as they help prevent any condensation from running or pooling or soaking into your panelling and carpet. Air vents low down on the side or floor will draw in fresh air, and warm, stale moisture laden air can escape through a roof vent or fan.

It comes down to good practice really, turn on the roof fan, open the roof vent or open a door or window if you are brewing up or cooking, and keep it open for a while afterwards - you've got to let the steam out. It might be warmer with the doors closed, but you pay for it later - you always end up feeling colder and more uncomfortable when everything inside feels damp.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmatt1969 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:17 pm

beaker great advise and post big thumbs up
madmatt1969
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby NickJ » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 am

I'm currently living in my van and my first couple of nights I was really concerned about condensation.

I only used bubble foil insulation. Made the mistake of sticking it to the metal so it doesnt work properly. On the roof I doubled some up but I still get condensation.

I found the biggest improvement came from putting a roof and floor vent in. The difference was dripping wet or water just lightly collecting.

Today I'm going to wire in a PC tower fan to my roof vent for better ventilation.

As for water moving forward into the cab. It happens it drips a bit but my van was £300 so if I need a new one in a couple of years I'm not bothered.

I find I get to much condensation in the cab when I use a hook up and run a heater all night in the back. I just avoid using a heater all night. Cracking the windows open a bit also helps a bit.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Can you point me in the direction of a floor vent, as in where would I install one and where would I buy one? Would it be a case of cutting a hole in the floor and roof respectively?

The insulation has already made a huge difference to both condensation and road noise - a 'bare' empty van versus a insulated van, the road noise is cut massively.

I think vents/fans maybe getting added to the list.... the list just keeps on growing but I'm loving it :D
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:04 am

This is what i'm currently wanting to do with my van but not sure what vents to use, how many and where to pace them. I do have a roof vent in but ideally would like to put some more vents in the sides.
I was looking at these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... ent/p57213 or this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... tic/p47334 ?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:38 am

Sorry lads only just seen your replies.

I have used 2 of these.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-BEIGE-75M ... iid%253A10

I have my roof vent at the back of the van so I put one of these near where the bulk head would of been at the front. I've also put one where my gas bottle is stored for the gas drop vent. Just cut a suitable sized hole.

Check under the van first as to where your cutting so you miss the chasis etc.

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 pm

NickJ wrote:Sorry lads only just seen your replies.

I have used 2 of these.

I have my roof vent at the back of the van so I put one of these near where the bulk head would of been at the front. I've also put one where my gas bottle is stored for the gas drop vent. Just cut a suitable sized hole.

Hi Mate. So something this small will do? i was going to be making a great big hole for much bigger vents haha I'm just wondering does it depend on where you put these for an mot point of view? Because of the 30cm rule regarding holes near the chassis and suspension?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:52 pm

tmm wrote:
NickJ wrote:Sorry lads only just seen your replies.

I have used 2 of these.

Hi Mate. So something this small will do? i was going to be making a great big hole for much bigger vents haha I'm just wondering does it depend on where you put these for an mot point of view? Because of the 30cm rule regarding holes near the chassis and suspension?

You know what I might of messed up on this one. I didnt even give it a second thought.

Guess I'll find out next MOT. Although I have a feeling the floor might not be too much of problem as it would holes in the sills, cross members etc. Plus its not a rust hole so solid around it.

I may be wrong and maybe someone will enlighten me. On here or my MOT guy will in November for the next MOT [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Yeah those round ones are what I would use too.

Holes in the floor are ok - motorhomes have water drain and gas vent holes drilled through - I'ts just rust holes that are MOT unfriendly.

There are some places you REALLY don't want to drill holes (above the fuel tank for starters). I would favour putting the vent hole (or holes) into the square section cross beam behind the seats. My bulkhead was fixed to this, and when I removed it you can see tarmac through the fixings. I filled them with Sikaflex. I'm now wondering whether I can get enough airflow through them - simply poke the filler out the holes. It might be enough to do the job. 8)
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:54 am

Beaker wrote:Yeah those round ones are what I would use too.

Holes in the floor are ok - motorhomes have water drain and gas vent holes drilled through - I'ts just rust holes that are MOT unfriendly.

There are some places you REALLY don't want to drill holes (above the fuel tank for starters). I would favour putting the vent hole (or holes) into the square section cross beam behind the seats. My bulkhead was fixed to this, and when I removed it you can see tarmac through the fixings. I filled them with Sikaflex. I'm now wondering whether I can get enough airflow through them - simply poke the filler out the holes. It might be enough to do the job. 8)

Guess we are ok then Nick :) I will have a look behind the seats in the morning beaker see what i can find cheers mate. I have the Vent 28 -Rooflight and im going to run a fan on that which will help draw the air up
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:53 am

tmm wrote:
Beaker wrote:Yeah those round ones are what I would use too.

Guess we are ok then Nick :) I will have a look behind the seats in the morning beaker see what i can find cheers mate. I have the Vent 28 -Rooflight and im going to run a fan on that which will help draw the air up

I'm pleased to hear it as I've cut holes in my floor [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

They make a massive difference though. I just need to install my fan to my vent now. Hopefully in the next week.

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Found these stainless steel vents on ebay - look really good. I'm going to order the medium sized ones and put two or three in the cross beam.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... SwAuNW7YOq

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Beaker wrote:Found these stainless steel vents on ebay - look really good. I'm going to order the medium sized ones and put two or three in the cross beam.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... SwAuNW7YOq

Nice fine mate, i've just ordered some :) Cheers
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:09 pm

I have some proof that all my insulating is working. I have been doing a couple of hours work out in the van every day since boxing day. I have almost finished the insulation, and have been installing my wiring. The only parts of the van I still need to insulate are the roof cross beams, which I have left exposed until I have completed running the wire through them. When I've done that, I will wrap them in insulation.

Yesterday I went out to the van and noticed a line of wet on the floor, caused by condensation dripping off the front cross beam. As it is not insulated, it's suffering from a bad case of cold-bridging from the outer skin of the van. It's been really cold and dry recently but It was not as cold yesterday with much more damp in the air - exactly the kind of conditions you would expect condensation problems to become apparent.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions