*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Filling and rust preventing screw holes in the floor

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Filling and rust preventing screw holes in the floor

Postby GuyT » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:35 pm

The previous owner screwed the floor panel into the floor, in some places you can see through to the road - through the screw holes. Dinitrol seems to be the favoured option for rust prevention. I am thinking the best solution would be to treat the holes with a rust preventer (dinitrol) then put screws through the holes again, to seal the hole. and repaint with Dinitrol. How does this sound? Are there better solutions? Can you also buy dinitrol in Halfords/on the high street or am I best to order on line and if so which one, when I looked last time there seemed to be multiple options? ...... and finally, how do you suggest fitting the replacement floor. I will be installing insulation, then a wooden sheet then carpet, how do I fit the wooden sheet, just do some really good carpentry?

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Filling and rust preventing screw holes in the floor

Postby Beaker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I had the same issue - ex gas fitters van with hex board flooring screwed down, and multiple holes for racking bolted through the hex board and van floor.

After removing the racking and flooring, I used a rat tail file and small wire brush to remove all traces of rust. Then etch primer, oxide primer and finally matching white paint.

After this I used Sikaflex sealant to fill the holes from the top and from the underside.

I insulated the floor using gold foil insulation from Harrison's Trim Supplies (stuck down with Trimfix),

http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/ ... 0594-p.asp

Fitted new 12mm flooring panels I bought on Customshop Designs on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-2013-For ... 43fbea732d

I was intending to just buy a couple of boards and cut them myself using a jigsaw, but after finding out the wood alone was going to cost me over £80, I got one of the pre-cut ones in the link above. I'm really glad I did, as the panels are a perfect drop-in fit and great quality. Well worth the extra in my opinion.

I simply stuck the board down on a few big blobs of Sikaflex - so far it's not moves anywhere.

I'm going to use lino on mine, but you could just as easily use carpet stuck down with Trimfix.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Filling and rust preventing screw holes in the floor

Postby GuyT » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Cheers Beaker

A whole bunch of materials arrive on Monday so I intend to crack on next week.
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions