*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Shoudl I insulate the wheel arches?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Shoudl I insulate the wheel arches?

Postby GuyT » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

As the title says, should I insulate the wheel arches?

I am going to have the wheel arches permanently boxed in and I think it would be wise to insulate them, I also have spare thermoliner and if its not the neatest job then its not a problem as it wont be seen. Insulation will also reduce road noise I guess. Are there any down sides to this that I'm not thinking about?

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Shoudl I insulate the wheel arches?

Postby NickJ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Yeah I probably would. Anything bare metal will cause condensation problems and therefore damp. If its boxed in without insulation it cant circulate and evaporate.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm

I would - cold = condensation = rust.

I'm using thermoliner in mine, and everywhere is covered except the wheel arches. I'm leaving them until last as I don't want to risk tearing the insulation when I build my bed and kitchen over the top of them. I'm going to build the frames first, then insulate the wheel arches just before I fit them. I intend to carpet the arches too to protect the insulation.

Thermoliner does not stretch around "outside" curves - the adhesive may not hold, so I'm going to use Thermoliner on the flat bits of the arches (front and top), and some of the gold foil faced foam and Trimfix around the tight bends for this job. It won't look too neat, but it's going to be hidden so no worries.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 am

Sorry to hijack this thread but hane you guys insulated the floors? Mines got a resin floor on it and I don't know if I should pull it up and re do it when I'm insulating the van or not??
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Beaker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Wadey wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but hane you guys insulated the floors? Mines got a resin floor on it and I don't know if I should pull it up and re do it when I'm insulating the van or not??

I've insulated the floor in mine - gold foil foam roll from Harrisons Trim Supplies stuck down with Trimfix, and floor panels laid down on top on a few blobs of sealant adhesive.

I'm not sure what a resin floor is - is it sprayed on resin foam like truck bed liner? If so that should act as highly efficient insulation.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm

All my previous vans I have wax oiled under the floor put a thin sheet of insulation in and the wheel arches have been boxed in wax oiled and insulted with b&q plastic bottle insulation Whitch I have also used on the sides roof and doors in my last van to date I have not done under the floor as it has a expensive looking floor that is very well screwed down with alloy moulding to hold it down I use the van all year round and I have not really noticed any real problems
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby GuyT » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm insulating mine - insulation, 18mm ply (got it for free) 6mm carpet ...... all easily removable so I can check the state of the floor later in the year/next year.... I have read so many 'rust' horror stories.
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi
As the lads have already mention, I would reccomend putting some kind of insulation onto all the bare metal in the rear of the van mate
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vampirequeen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 pm

I obsessively insulated every bit of metal I could including the floor under the ply and the wheel arches. I worked on the theory that metal is cold and leads to condensation. I don't know if I was right but it seems to have worked as, touch wood, up to now we've not had any condensation issues and we've camped in all weathers.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transit-town » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 am

What do people do to fix the timber to the floor after insulating....screw it down???
transit-town
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 pm

That's all I have done just try to screw to the razed part of the floor ribs so it is a solid fitment
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tmm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 pm

transit-town wrote:What do people do to fix the timber to the floor after insulating....screw it down???

I screwed it down stainless steel screws
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions