*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Foil or soft insulation?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Foil or soft insulation?

Postby dantranvan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Not going for a full on camper conversion, but I sleep in my race van when I'm at the track and in the cooler months, it can get a bit chilly on a cool night

I've removed my ply lining kit and was planning on fitting foil insulation on the floor, sides and roof, before refitting the ply and carpet over that. But someone has suggested this stuff

http://www.megavanmats.com/apps/webstor ... ow/5500089

My main issues would be the additional weight and risk of it sweating. Sweating, I'm told, wouldn't be an issue with this stuff but I'm just thinking foil will be easier to fit, especially on the floor and top half of the sides. This stuff would only make sense in the lower part of the sides where there is more space.

Thoughts?
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Foil or soft insulation?

Postby dumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Have a look at B&Q recycled plastic bottle thermal insulation did mine 7 years ago so not sure cost of it now but that you looks a good price if I build another van I may use some of that and pack it out with the b&q stuff I also wax oiled mine before putting it in .i also use my van for motorsport all year round and will be at croft this weekend marshalling on a car rally.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NickJ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:14 am

I've gone for foil insulation in mine. But I might add some more insulation at some point.

If your worried about it "sweating" then ventilate it as well.

To put it into perspective I've been living in my van for nearly 3 months. I've had some cold nights at first I used to get condensation over the whole inside of the roof. Even where I've double insulated 2/3 of the roof. The other 1/3 is the "condensation zone" where I allow it to build up. It makes it manageable. Since I installed a computer tower fan under my airvent condensation hasnt been much of a problem. Well that and burning an oil lamp through the night. It keeps the air circulating and above freezing.

I think the best thing you can do to keep warm on a night is warm bedding. Either a high quality sleeping bag or as I have a couple of good quality quilts and some blankets.

Here's a picture of my roof with a little bit of condensation on the 1/3 I allow it. It was forecast -1° last night and its currently 5° inside. Once I make my brew it'll be a comfy 14°+

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:49 am

The stuff you have linked to is Dacron. It's basically the same stuff used in pillows and cushions. Super-light weight - no need to worry there, but known to absorb and hold onto moisture.
I would not recommend using it as your main insulating material.

I got all my materials from Harrisons Trim Supplies (also known as Toerags Truckmats) in Yorkshire. The guy there is a mine of information on insulating your van and is well wortn phoning and talking to him.

He recommended I use gold foil insulation on the floor, it's very quick and easy to fit - just glue it down with Trimfix spray adhesive.

Thermoliner on the walls and ceiling. Self adhesive and easy to cut. Forms it's own vapour barrier and deadens sound incredibly well. Time consuming to fit though.

Dacron roll cut into loose "sausages" and stuffed up into the side cavities and box sections. 3 metres is all I needed for my SWB medium high top.

http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/van-insulation-soundproofing-14-c.asp

I ordered extra gold foil, and used it to wrap the roof beams.

Finally I bought just one roll of foil bubble wrap (from Aldi) which I have used to stuff the door cavities.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Just to add my tuppence.

I've done the same as Beaker and fitted thermoliner..... everywhere, I'm also going to put it behind the roof lining in the cab when I take that out to recover. I was going to go with 'Celotex' (alot of people seem to have done that on reading forums) but on using thermoliner, which you can just cut to shape, its way easier and its thermal properties seem really good, touching a none insulated panel vs insulated in some of the recent freezing weather has proved to me its value, the difference in surface moisture, or not, where the thermliner is installed, is incredible. I've also accepted that moisture is just going to happen, full stop.

Like you I'm not going for a full on camper, more what I term a day van with sleeping capabilities and Im tempted to fit a fan of some description in the roof at the back and then leave the windows open ever so slightly to allow ventilation and circulation of air overnight.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions