*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Slide out side step - has anyone fitted one

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Slide out side step - has anyone fitted one

Postby GuyT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:54 am

Has anyone fitted a slide out side step and if so what type? I have found this one made by Thule but has anyone got any other suggestions.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motorhom ... 0slide-out

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Slide out side step - has anyone fitted one

Postby Trannygrandad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

I have a manual slide out step that I will soon be replacing on my 55 plate minibus,
It also has a warning siren so you cannot drive off with it extended. do not know the make tho,
works perfectly.
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 pm

GuyT wrote:Has anyone fitted a slide out side step and if so what type? I have found this one made by Thule but has anyone got any other suggestions.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motorhom ... 0slide-out

Cheers

Other suggestions? No not really. Thule also make a swing out step too.

http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/thule-omnistep-dropdown-manual-550-381-p.asp?gclid=CKe22MLIxtECFQhuGwodI5EIGA

Thule products are good quality and well designed, so I would not bother looking much further really. There are other companies in the UK who make these, but they seem to be considerably more expensive.

I looked at these, and was put off by the fact you need to drill the underside of your van to fit them, so I opted for the no-drill "torpedo" bars. Only time will tell if I've made the right choice! :?
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks chaps, Ill take a look but while working on the van today and taking my boots off when getting in I realise its not a step I necessarily need, maybe just a doormat :D

I want to keep the inside as clean as possible once done and in use and maybe its just a case of 'boots off'.... like we do in the house.
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:24 pm

A doormat is actually a great idea - we had one in our tent. I've seen other vans with an built in step (like VWs) where people have cut a coir mat down and fixed it to the step.

Boots off is definately the way to go - I'm now looking at underfloor heating. Mmm, toasty toes. :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Softlips » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:33 pm

My Terrier has the Thule step as per the first post. Retracts automatically when the engine is switched on.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby devilman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:10 am

Softlips wrote:My Terrier has the Thule step as per the first post. Retracts automatically when the engine is switched on.

Yep. Came on the van and I thought I'd never use it but it makes a big difference. It goes in automatically unless it's frozen solid as I found last month. Had to kick it a few times.
devilman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Camper vans and conversions