*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sound deadening

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Sound deadening

Postby Wadey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47 am

Iv acquired 2 boxes of 12"x 12" sound deadening pads like dyna mat it's good quality stuff just
My question is do I buy more and do the whole of the inside of the van or just use what I have and space it out on the roof and sides ??
I know the more I use the quieter it will be but is it worth it ?
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Sound deadening

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 am

Difficult to say really - it depends on what you intend to use as your insulating material. If you intend to use a loose fit insulation like Rockwool, recycled plastic bottle insulation or silver foil bubble wrap, they do very little to deaden sound - so you need more of your Dynamat type stuff. However if you plan on using self adhesive thermoliner, it has excellent acoustic deadening so you don't really need the Dynamat at all. This is how I have done it, the thermoliner makes a huge difference, and I did not install any Dynamat first. I can honestly say that on the motorway the van is no noisier than my Mondeo estate.

Doing the whole van is expensive overkill though - from what I can see you only need a piece in the middle of a panel - you don't need to cover all of it.

Like this:

2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transitcat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Beaker wrote:Difficult to say really - it depends on what you intend to use as your insulating material. If you intend to use a loose fit insulation like Rockwool, recycled plastic bottle insulation or silver foil bubble wrap, they do very little to deaden sound - so you need more of your Dynamat type stuff. However if you plan on using self adhesive thermoliner, it has excellent acoustic deadening so you don't really need the Dynamat at all. This is how I have done it, the thermoliner makes a huge difference, and I did not install any Dynamat first. I can honestly say that on the motorway the van is no noisier than my Mondeo estate.

Doing the whole van is expensive overkill though - from what I can see you only need a piece in the middle of a panel - you don't need to cover all of it.

Like this:

What's the thermal insulation like for thermoliner when you apply it in squares like that and not all over? Did you put anything on top of it?
transitcat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beaker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:38 pm

You cover the whole panel with Thermoliner - don't leave any gaps if you can help it.

Yes you can stick it over the sound deadening sheet - it won't do any harm.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions