*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit front passenger seat

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Transit front passenger seat

Postby Wcoats » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 am

Looking to swap double seat on my 2015 transit custom to a single seat. Any companies in Scotland that will supply and fit a single seat. Would you recommend using non standard single seat as captains chair?
Wcoats

Re: Transit front passenger seat

Postby NickJ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:55 am

I was thinking about doing this but you can get a double seat swivel for the passenger seat on ebay. Its about £250 though

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wcoats » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 am

I saw the swivel seat at the camping and caravan show last week and it looked good but I still want to change to a single seat. My van is a full camper conversion and it would be better being able to move from front to rear with the single seat.
Wcoats

Postby NickJ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 am

I'm just thinking maybe I could buy a universal swivel base (£70 on ebay) for my van and then put any single seat in place of the bench seat.

Has anyone tried this?

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:58 pm

NickJ wrote:I'm just thinking maybe I could buy a universal swivel base (£70 on ebay) for my van and then put any single seat in place of the bench seat.

Has anyone tried this?

As long as the "universal" swivel base actually fits your transit you should be ok - but make sure it really is compatible before you buy one. It may still need the mounting holes re-drilling anyway. You will need a seat box/base - same as under the drivers seat, then mount any seat to that.

You may need to modify the seat runners and/or weld adapter strips or plates to the top of the seat box, depending on your choice of seat.

In theory, just about any seat can be made to fit, but some are much easier than others, Look for seats with flat runners as that dramatically reduces the amount of re-jigging required to get them to fit.

Also watch the seat's height. The swivel base adds a couple of inches to the height, and if you choose a seat that sits high off the runners, you can end up with your feet dangling off the floor or your knees jammed under the steering wheel. Many seats with lots of adjustment motors underneath sit high to make room for the motors.

Therefore manual adjustment, low profile sports car seats with flat runner rails are good options, for example Mazda RX-8, Toyota Celica, Audi TT and some Jaguar seats are all supposed to be good candidates.

Old Saab 900 (turbo) series leather seats are much favoured by the VDub crowd for T4 and T5 conversions as they are superb quality, supremely comfortable, fully manual, and the flat runners make them an easy fit onto VW and Transit seat box bases.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Forgot to say that the seats for a Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra have swivel bases and fit in a Transit. Often breakers will remove the swivels and sell the separately, so check they still have them fitted!
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Beaker wrote:Forgot to say that the seats for a Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra have swivel bases and fit in a Transit. Often breakers will remove the swivels and sell the separately, so check they still have them fitted!

Direct fit without messing about to much?

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 pm

NickJ wrote:I'm just thinking maybe I could buy a universal swivel base (£70 on ebay) for my van and then put any single seat in place of the bench seat.

Has anyone tried this?

I did that with my mk 6 replaced double pass seat with another drivers seat, All I had to do was swap the seat belt anchor point over to the other side of the seat & fitted a swivel plate between the seat & the base box. Quite straight forward actually & no drilling

You could also use, if you could find one, a left hand drive drivers seat, no need then to swap belt anchor point

would a custom be much different?
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NickJ » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 am

I am concious on price with changing the seat. Anything newer than a MK6 seat of some sort would be more than I paid for my van.

I've seen plenty of seat base boxes on ebay not to expensive. I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to use a connect folding seat. I'm not to bothered about the seat swivelling. I would just like direct access to the back from the cab.

NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:56 am

NickJ wrote:
Beaker wrote:Forgot to say that the seats for a Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra have swivel bases and fit in a Transit. Often breakers will remove the swivels and sell the separately, so check they still have them fitted!

Direct fit without messing about to much?

I believe so - I've read several mentions of them being a direct fit.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wcoats » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the replies.....A UK drivers seat on ebay is about £250.....A left hand drivers seat from the continent is £500+ and then carriage......I have a Polish friend in the car industry has said that he can source me a seat from the continent.....I'm going to hold on and see if he can source one for me.....seats are like hens teeth......I'll let you know how I get on....2nd choice would be a Galaxy seat this is not possible.
Wcoats

Return to Camper vans and conversions