*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Maximum hanging weight?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Maximum hanging weight?

Postby fletchyfletch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 am

Hammock people.. Do any of you know the maximum weight you can hang from the inner side panels? I'm thinking of making a strap-supported rigid hammock and hanging it from the cable runs that are in the corners between the side panel and the roof.
Ford Transit Mk7 FWD SWB 2011 2.2 litre
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Maximum hanging weight?

Postby loot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:18 pm

No idea but can't you make a hammock frame and then just attach it to the side of the van for support only?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby fletchyfletch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:28 pm

loot wrote:No idea but can't you make a hammock frame and then just attach it to the side of the van for support only?

What I was thinking was making up a rigid frame from some box section and suspending it with straps attached to the roof.

This render is without the interior walls, just the metal panels. I've attached the strap hooks to a piece of box section that I'll put behind the cable run in the top corner of the van (I've taken out the webbing and metal supports to make it easier to see everything in this image. The bed frame is then suspended from those straps.

My concern was whether the van would support the potential weight in those areas.
fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:30 pm

I don't think you will find a recommended weight for this as I highly doubt that Ford, or anyone else for that matter, have even thought to measure how much weight can be supported when loaded in this way.

I like your thinking though, as the square section tube will spread the load over the maximum possible area.

How much weight are you talking about though - one person or two? Two skinnies or are you bigger built than that? What 's your combined weight including the bed itself?

I would be a little concerned that the total force being exerted inwards and downwards might just rip the channel apart and dump you on the floor. There's not a lot of metal there, it's only thin, bent sheet steel, and the curved right angle "brackets" for the roof spars are only spot welded in a couple of places.

I think I would be tempted to weld or bolt vertical supports to your side rails all the way down to the floor, with plates on the floor to help spread the load.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:41 pm

There's rails in the centre of the walls for mounting rails etc, why not make the frame but sit it on top of that somehow?

Direct downward force into that will never pull it off the outer skin.

I'd say the first idea would also be OK too but it might be scary and you might get Sea sick :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby fletchyfletch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Beaker wrote:I don't think you will find a recommended weight for this as I highly doubt that Ford, or anyone else for that matter, have even thought to measure how much weight can be supported when loaded in this way.

I like your thinking though, as the square section tube will spread the load over the maximum possible area.

How much weight are you talking about though - one person or two? Two skinnies or are you bigger built than that? What 's your combined weight including the bed itself?

I would be a little concerned that the total force being exerted inwards and downwards might just rip the channel apart and dump you on the floor. There's not a lot of metal there, it's only thin, bent sheet steel, and the curved right angle "brackets" for the roof spars are only spot welded in a couple of places.

This is just an extra bed. I'm going to be building a rock'n'roll bed for myself. The hammock will just be for the odd occasion. I'd guess the metal and wood would come to 2kg tops and then a top end weight of 76kg (12st) for whoever stays in there.
I was worried about the webbing peeling away with the weight but surely Ford we're well aware that it would be used to ratchet pretty heavy stuff to the van.

loot wrote:There's rails in the centre of the walls for mounting rails etc, why not make the frame but sit it on top of that somehow?

Direct downward force into that will never pull it off the outer skin.

I'd say the first idea would also be OK too but it might be scary and you might get Sea sick :lol:

Ha, the sea sickness doesn't bother me so much. I won't be the one sleeping in it! :lol:

Beaker wrote:I think I would be tempted to weld or bolt vertical supports to your side rails all the way down to the floor, with plates on the floor to help spread the load

I'm unable to do that because of the sliding door.

fletchyfletch
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions