*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

COVERING THERMOLINER

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

COVERING THERMOLINER

Postby mtbcol » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Don't stop reading its not another usual insulation question! :lol:

We are using thermoliner to insulate, but we now have a medium height van, so question is once ive stuck the thermolioner to the roof above the cab can anyone recomend anything to stick over it easily to stop it getting damaged/punctured by the luggage etc. we will be trying to ram in the space when we load 6 months worh od luggage etc. for our two week holiday! :roll:

I suppose I could just stick more thermoliner on top, but its a bit expensive. Brilliant stuff though second van w'eve used it in :D

Thanks.

Colin. :)
mtbcol
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: COVERING THERMOLINER

Postby ned » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Hardboard? It bends quite easily.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 pm

I have a medium high top too, and like you I have lined the over-cab roof space with thermoliner. I have simply carpeted it with Easyliner carpet stuck on with Trimfix spray adhesive. It looks really good and should do the job. However I'm only planning on using this space to store soft stuff - pillows, duvet etc. - nothing pointy, hard or heavy!

I really don't fancy the idea of something heavy dropping out of it onto the floor while driving. It would probably scare the crap out of me, and I don't want to end up in a ditch - or worse. :shock:

You could always try "bendy ply" if you need something more durable.

Top tip though - for a holiday of ANY duration, you only really need four days worth of clothing. This is something we have learned after many years of camping and "hand luggage only" budget flight holidays. Trust me - it applies equally from Africa to the Arctic. :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mtbcol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks both.

The wife likes the sound of the Easyliner carpet, so that's what we are going with.

It should be o.k.as its only going to be holdalls full of mountain biking gear over the cab.

Is the Easyliner very thick?

Thanks

Colin.
mtbcol
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 pm

No, it's about 3mm thick, but squeezes down to about 1.5mm (I measured it with a digital caliper). It is VERY tough however and it extremely resistant to abrasion. It stretches easily in all directions so can conform it to the tightest, most awkward contours. It is super-light weight as well.

There is another carpet available called Veltrim which is supposed to be harder wearing than Easyliner. It's heavier and less stretchy and is favoured by pro conversion companies rather than by DIY'ers.

Both are available from Harrison's Trim Supplies (where I got mine from), as well as plenty of other places.

A couple of tips for you:

Don't worry about overspray to much when you glue it on with the Trimfix - you can easily remove it with White Spirit on a scrap of excess carpet.
It has two different faces - one side is softer and fluffier which is the side you want facing towards you. The other face is smoother and harder (also slightly lighter colour too), and this is the face you glue to the van.

I made a right pig's ear of doing the curved roof over the cab space first go, and had to glue a second layer on to hide the mess. Cut yourself a carboard template (It's basically a "D" shape), glue it on right in the centre, then smooth it out from the centretowards the edges, working just a few inches a time.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mtbcol » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Beaker

Sorry for the delay in replying had computer problems....again.

I ordered a couple of the Harrison trim sample cards and think we will go with the easy trim (coz it says "easy"!).

Thanks for the tips. :?: Do you spray the trimfix on the liner and the thermoliner as a sort of contact adhesive or just on the easyliner?

As its over the cab and will mostly be unseen, I think it would be easier to cover it in strips and just butt and glue the joints up, bearing in mind I'm probably going to make a right mess of trying to glue it in one piece anyway! :roll: It will probably be easier on the roof in the back as I plan to use ply sections for that and cover those in about three separate sections, so although there will be "joins" they will only be where the easytrim is folder around the back of the ply, and not just butted up and glued, so will look neater (?)

Thanks for your help so far.

Colin. :)
mtbcol
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Yeah, you have to spray BOTH surfaces, wait a minute or two for it to go tacky, then press them very gently together - it will instantly grab, but you can peel it apart again if you mis-align it first go. When you have got it aligned properly, smooth it down firmly with your hands or something like a wallpaper roller and it it is stuck for good.

For large sections, I found the best way to go is not to try and stick it on in one go - you can quickly and easily end up in a horrible mess. Instead (for a roof panel for example) spray the entire ply board with Trimfix, Then spray a line of Trimfix maybe a foot wide down one side of the carpet and stick it down. fold the carpet back to the edge of the glue line, and spray another foot wide line of glue on the carpet and smooth it down. Carry on until finished. Doing it this way means you can deal with accidental creases a lot more easily.

Don't forget it stretches easily, and the warmer it is the easier it stretches (a hair dryer is a big help) so use that to your advantage in awkward areas.

You do need quite a few cans of Trimfix - one can is good for about two square metres of carpet. Like I say, don't worry about overspray anywhere, Trimfix cleans off easily with white spirit.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mtbcol » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 am

That's great, thanks for that beaker. :)
mtbcol
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Digrizrat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 am

I used my square with the ruler removed to push and stretch the carpet into the corners, it's pointy in various places and big enough to give a good grip

https://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock- ... 966387.jpg
Digrizrat
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions