*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

newbee needing help Adding another split charge system

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

newbee needing help Adding another split charge system

Postby foty0708 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 am

Hi everyone
I have a 57 plate transit rwd i am converting into a camper and want to add another split charge system so i can have a house battery in the back of the van running my electrics,i know there's lots of posts on split charge systems and i spent an hour going through posts but not to get the answers i was looking for, I have two batters under the drivers seat 1 is a starter battery and other an aux battery,so to add another battery split charge system which battery under the seat is which(starter and aux) and which do i connect to ?? i believe some one must of already done this so please help me out as i am stressing out way to much over it
Thanks in advance for any replies
lee
foty0708

Re: newbee needing help Adding another split charge system

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:53 am

I haven't done this myself with a twin battery setup, but my assumption would be:

Connect split charge relay positive to starter battery positive. (As always, place a 40A fuse as close to the starter positive as possible.)

I can see no reason to connect it to the auxiliary battery. Connecting to the starter battery, you're only doing what you would do with a single battery anyway, so I can't imagine there would be an issue.

Drop these guys an email to check and be sure. They were very helpful when I did my setup. They sell high quality made to measure split charge kits as well. http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-charge-kits.html
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby foty0708 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Thankyou for your reply i guessed as much but wanted to be sure,just got to work out which is the starter battery now but i have a plan ....
foty0708

Postby trund » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:48 am

I have the same set up,i fitted the relay switch to the aux battery and have not had a problem.
trund

Postby ake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:03 am

On mk 7, rear battery is starter, front is aux.

Connect split charge for leisure battery to the customer connection point on the rear of the seat base, these are fed from the Aux battery, each point is fused at 60 amp

DO NOT connect directly to the starter battery, or you override the whole point in have the twin battery set up.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby foty0708 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I had connected to the starter battery but will change this to the aux battery,Thankyou for your reply sorry its taken so long to say thanks..
foty0708

Return to Camper vans and conversions