*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Table mount fixing

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Table mount fixing

Postby larryex8 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 am

Hi,

I need to fit a recessed table mount through the floor a 2010 MWB/MH transit. There is a layer of vinyl and it is ply-lined. What will I find under there? Is there an empty box cavity under there? It will be fitted in the middle of the van and about 0.5 metres from back door.

larryex8

Re: Table mount fixing

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:55 am

Or if you don't want to cut any holes...

SequoiaTM Table Leg System with Aluminium Base Campervan Conversion VWT5 Transit Traffic ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I3IWEBI/ ... 3ybJ26FECM

I used this system. It's great.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 am

But if you do want to... under the ply you'll find a single skin steel corrugated floor panel.

Easy enough to cut through. Just get underneath first and work out exactly where it will come through to make sure there's nothing in the way at that point.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:37 am

Hectors tranny, does this sit flush on the floor or is it raised. Reading the spec it talks about 12mm height, I have 6mm of carpet and 18mm of ply so im thinking I could fit this flush into the floor?

Could you post a picture of the base plate fitted, if you have done it yet, Id like to see the end result.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Without the plastic cap (which covers the hole when table not attached - and quite frankly I've never used it - looks better without) its 9 mm thick at its thickest point. In this pic, this is the circular area just inside the screw holes. Outside of that its a couple of mm thinner.

It's designed to sit on the surface, so yes it would be proud by that amount.

https://goo.gl/images/OAWVR4

The circular base is 180mm in diameter, so a bit larger than the recessed type, in order to spread the surface mounted load.

Even the recessed type still sits proud of the floor maybe 4 or 5 mm, so not much difference really.

They also do a version of it with the base in polished stainless steel. That's what I've got - looks really nice.
Last edited by hectors-tranny on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 pm

hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

There you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Yes, even the "flush fit" ones stick up a few mm, so you still have the potential to catch your foot on it. You could always cut the vinyl floor round the outer flange and screw it straight to the floor ply. This would make it effectively flush, but if the vinyl then starts lifting you could still trip over it.

I would still be a lot more concerned about drilling a dirty great hole hole through my floor though! You can't avoid this if you go for a flush fit. They are not supposed to be that stable either resulting in a wobbly table after a while.

I've got one of the Sequoia top mount bayonet fitting ones just like hectors-tranny ready to go in when I get that far. They are supposed to be a lot more stable.

It looks lke his is right over his fuel tank - definately not where you want to be drilling holes through the floor!
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am

Yes I had the hole in floor type with a previous conversion. I think the Seqoia system is more stable - it's rock solid in fact.

And yes, if you're positioning the table somewhere you can't get to to seal up underneath, cutting a hole can be awkward.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby larryex8 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am

thanks for the advice guys. just about to order a flush fitted base :-)
larryex8

Return to Camper vans and conversions