*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mounting rear seats

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Mounting rear seats

Postby Roxvan2016 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Help needed!

I have brought a pair of transit minibus seats. That I would like to fit into the back of my lwb transit I have fabricated spreader plates. The problem is that 5 of the 6 bolt hole are fine the 6th falls bang inside the channel under the van that the prop shaft is mounted to. I have thought about moving the seat but forward and back will still result in them being in the channel. Side to side the seats will hit the side of the van before its outside the channel the other way and the seat will restrict access to the rear.

Would 5 of 6 bolts be enough??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Roxvan2016

Re: Mounting rear seats

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm

It would be better than my van, which apparently only had two (!) bolts securing the rear seats and very inadequate spreader plates.

Amazingly it passed several MOTs like this probably because 'NUMBER OF SEATS' on the V5 is ... blank ... so they never even counted them. The 'seats' are a folded up rock 'n' roll bed with lap belts. Some MOT places must be very lax on the standards ...
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Roxvan2016 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm

I have heard a few scary stories about how rear seats are mounted. I think mine will be fine with 5 bolts, I have gone way over the top with the size of the spreader plate under the van. I suppose I will find out when it goes for MOT next.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Roxvan2016

Postby imageoven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 pm

I would certainly never leave a fixing point unconnected if anyone will actualy travel in the seats.

Could you not fix a long bolt all the way through the box section? Or weld it in place?

If it was not going to be used as a travel seat I would use a rivnut of appropiate size.
imageoven
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Roxvan2016 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:42 pm

The seats will be used to travel. Yes a long bolt would be fine but it falls directly in line with my prop hanger. I may have to get creative. The spreader plates I have fabricated are 100x100x15 mm tapped to 7/16 (that the bolts from the minibus were). With locking nuts on the underside. This is way over the top which is why I thought 5 fixings might be ok??

Cheer.
Roxvan2016

Postby Beaker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:37 pm

You could always add an extra extension plate - either welded or screwed to the offending spreader plate with a bolt hole that is outside your danger area.

Or simply chop the bolt off short and bond it in place so it looks like you have six bolts holding the seat down!
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions