*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gas plumbing...

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Gas plumbing...

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 pm

So ... I am now at the point where I have a more or less empty van, rather than a campervan. I'd like to redo the gas pipes, partly because I want to get the fridge plumbed in, but mainly because it's not up to spec anyway (sole gas pipe to the stove wasn't even secured to the body, and gas bottle just flapped around the back... It has a screwed in strap but almost all of the screws had pulled out, and that's after I'd rescrewed it in and doubled up the number of screws).

Gas plumbing. I've done water plumbing with compression fittings. It can't be that much harder, no? I find references to 'gas tape' which I guess is something similar to PTFE tape, in that it's some kind of sealing tape? You get leak detector aerosols to find out if it's leaking or if you have big balls and are sure there are no major leaks you can use a lighter (eek! But I have seen it done :D). I'd rather go for the aerosols :D

As I understand it, you should fit the cylinder in a locker (ideally only accessible from the outside, but as I have rear doors I'll probably make it face the rear doors, simpler to do). It should be made of metal and airtight, with a vent in the floor. No flex fittings except from regulator to the piping. LP side should flow into a manifold with separate shutoffs to each appliance. Optionally a shutoff should be fitted next to the appliances. All piping apart from the flex hose should be secured to the bodywork. And, there has to be one (and ideally two) gas outlets under the fridge just in case it leaks.

Anything else I should consider?
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Gas plumbing...

Postby hornhead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 am

i plumbed one of these in gas box...best thing ever did...can check leaks in 30 secs no tools,good torch....every season, every trip,every update..brilliant device,gives good nights sleep as fridge keeps busy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Alde-Mari ... SwN6JY82P4
:D
as lpg heavier than air if sniff underneath fittings if go this routehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-Prime ... Sw32lYzjFK
hornhead
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 am

I'm going to try and pursue a different strategy first.

A friend of a friend does central heating systems for a living. And he's Gas Safe qualified. I'm gonna try to get in touch with him, and negotiate what bits I can do and he can do; and if he's amenable I'll do pretty much the whole lot hopefully leaving him with two or three pipes to do, not much of a bill, and maybe a safety cert out of it if he can do one ;)

One advantage of it being mobile of course is, I can drive it to his house and he can work on it there as a homer. If I can talk him into it ... we have met each other so we know each other at least :)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hornhead » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm

sounds good, bare in mind soundness test is a different kettle/ticket for lpg...
point of marine tester for me is can prove van still sound anytime, not just once when built before all those compressions get daily vibration of roads, speed humps and ford's finest :lol:
hornhead
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hornhead » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:28 pm

BTW keep forgetting to mention I was in dodgy band years ago, supported CVB at Dingwalls, Camden... never heard anymore of them...start of transit days for me had a great MK2 6 wheel minibus with bits of washing machine for floor :shock:
Happy days!
198? :roll:
hornhead
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 pm

hornhead wrote:BTW keep forgetting to mention I was in dodgy band years ago, supported CVB at Dingwalls, Camden... never heard anymore of them...start of transit days for me had a great MK2 6 wheel minibus with bits of washing machine for floor :shock:
Happy days!

I picked the name because I thought it was amusing ... My brother had their 12 inch of 'Take The Skinheads Bowling' when I was about ... oh, 13 or 14? (86/87) That's where I first heard them and heard of them...

So back then I was too young to even drive (My first drive at age 15 in 1988, was my dad's car. A Lada :oops: . I got it up to 30ish in 4th gear (first time I'd ever driven a car, mind) and he said 'That's enough!!' and knocked it back into 3rd :D

He himself learned to drive by going to village dances (he lived way out in the sticks) from about 14 onwards, and at the end the village policeman would line them all up and choose the most sober people to drive the cars home. It didn't matter that he was only 14 or so ... because at least he was therefore sober!
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 pm

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:
hornhead wrote:BTW keep forgetting to mention I was in dodgy band years ago, supported CVB at Dingwalls, Camden... never heard anymore of them...start of transit days for me had a great MK2 6 wheel minibus with bits of washing machine for floor :shock:
Happy days!

I picked the name because I thought it was amusing ... My brother had their 12 inch of 'Take The Skinheads Bowling' when I was about ... oh, 13 or 14? (86/87) That's where I first heard them and heard of them...

So back then I was too young to even drive (My first drive at age 15 in 1988, was my dad's car. A Lada :oops: . I got it up to 30ish in 4th gear (first time I'd ever driven a car, mind) and he said 'That's enough!!' and knocked it back into 3rd :D

He himself learned to drive by going to village dances (he lived way out in the sticks) from about 14 onwards (so that would be 1958/59), and at the end the village policeman would line them all up and choose the most sober people to drive the cars home. It didn't matter that he was only 14 or so ... because at least he was therefore sober!

Ach I did quote instead of edit AGAIN :p
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:I'm going to try and pursue a different strategy first.

A friend of a friend does central heating systems for a living. And he's Gas Safe qualified. I'm gonna try to get in touch with him, and negotiate what bits I can do and he can do; and if he's amenable I'll do pretty much the whole lot hopefully leaving him with two or three pipes to do, not much of a bill, and maybe a safety cert out of it if he can do one ;)

One advantage of it being mobile of course is, I can drive it to his house and he can work on it there as a homer. If I can talk him into it ... we have met each other so we know each other at least :)

Unless he has the caravan ticket, and lpg then he cannot legally do it.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:21 pm

ake wrote:
CamperVanBeethoven wrote:I'm going to try and pursue a different strategy first.

Unless he has the caravan ticket, and lpg then he cannot legally do it.

ARSE BISCUITS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgT-fg01vY

Well, he would at least be a better informed amateur than I ;) So it might still be worth asking him.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Camper vans and conversions