*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Garage solutions? Suggestions

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Garage solutions? Suggestions

Postby GuyT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Completely off topic but thought someone may have a suggestion and as this is the 'board' where I spend most of my time thought I'd ask here.

I'm hopefully about to move house and the new place doesnt have a garage yet, there's space to build something quite considerable but in the meantime I need somewhere to store a car and tools, bikes etc. Can anyone make any economical recommendations? I'm wondering about trying to buy a concrete garage second hand and put it up as a temp solution.... the only problem being I don't know how heavy they are and therefore how many trips back and forth I would need to make to be able to collect one, assuming I can find one at a reasonable price of course. I also thought about a shipping container but that'd be a PITA to remove at a later time I imagine, it is an option though

If anyone and suggestions I'd be really grateful.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Garage solutions? Suggestions

Postby loot » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 pm

I bought my sectional garage minus roof from a fair drive away, they are heavy tho, i was able to use the 7.5t work lorry to go and get it, nearly snapped myself lifting each individual section :lol:

Some points to consider.

For sectional.
1. Quick to put up.
2. No planning or anything needed as they are classed as not permanent structures.
3. Can be had cheap if you look.
4. Cold concrete looks horrid when a bit older but comes up lovely if you paint it (i did mine cream)

Against sectional.
1. Can be quite hard to get it transported.
2. You usually need to sort the roof out because old fibrous ones if asbestos need special disposal and can be cancerous (although recent ones aren't asbestos).
3. You really need to be motivated to remove it and build a permanent garage because you won't really be arsed :lol:
4. They have lots of gaps for the wind and wet to get in that needs sealing.

I love my garage, it's a good size, although i had to fit a pvc window and a pvc door in the side which i got free but had to weld a frame to fit to, i also had to make a roof from kingspan wall panels, i also had to replace the apex wooden support beams.
I also had to make a concrete drive for it.

If i moved house is leave the garage tho :lol:

Oh I've fitted strip lights and 240v on a garage consumer unit 8)

I can see the appeal of a permanent garage but it is just down to your imagination really, have a look on eBay for sectional garages some are nice :D
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 pm

40 foot container, and when you've done with it just dig a big hole and bury it
Then
Fill it full of Nazi gold and lesbians for the future
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 pm

i had this problem when i knocked my old garage down so i bought this when i'd done with it i sold it for pretty much the same as i'd paid for it

but i did have a trailer to collect it

Luke
Site Admin

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:36 pm

The problem you could have with the a "temporary" garage...
As soon as it fills your needs, you probably are no longer in a hurry to build the reel thing...
My temporary (shed) was there for more than 25 years :oops:
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks for all the suggestions..... and especially the pointer in regards to a temp solution being permanent!! That does make me think about bodging something together so that I remain motivated to build the real thing.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions