*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Insulation

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Insulation

Postby Wadey » Mon May 01, 2017 12:51 am

Iv tried serching the answer and to be honest I can't be bothered to read through through all the results iv acquired some so I'm told top notch insulation
It's like cotton woll stuff but it's not and it won't hold water it's foil one side it's used in expensive boats so it must be good !
I'm assuming I stick it so I'm looking at the foil? And as this stuff comes in a roll am i better off pulling it apart and stuffing into the bits I can't glue sheets to like the cavitys or do I get the recycled bottle stuff and use that
Also do I use foil tape over those bits or just leave them as they are?
As normal I'm going to Ireland in 3 weeks and iv not done any of it !
Any help would be much appreciated
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Insulation

Postby Beaker » Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Have a look here:

http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/special-offers-23-c.asp

I've used a mixture of the Thermoliner for the panels, Dacron stuffed into cavities and the gold foil under the floor, around the roof beams and awkward bits.

Works great and really works well as sound insulation too. The Thermoliner is a military grade material which has been used on the inside of Armoured Personnel Carriers for insulation in Afghanistan.

Not the cheapest option, but I'm happy with it. Silver foil bubble wrap or re-cycled plastic bottle would be cheaper and quicker.

Yes, I used aluminium tape to seal over any joins.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 pm

After lots of looking on the internet i decided the silver foil taps was a good idea
Iv managed to do both rear quarters and one door today I was gonna do the front Pannel until I found that my window is leaking amd filing up behind the Pannel with water so I will be phoning Vospers tomorrow they fitted them they can sort it annoying I'm away in 3 weeks so I need to get it sorted before I put the insulation in
I used sound deadening pads first then stuffed as much of the plastic insulation inside the gaps as I could before adding the posh insulation on top of that, with just the bit I did I was quite impressed with how well it went and how much quieter it's made it

This is what's there before
This is it when that was taken off and I'd removed he flimsy junk Ford fitted you can just see the lower panel still fitted
Then added the pads there's some in the bottom too
stuffed it all full of fluff everywhere I could
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wadey » Mon May 01, 2017 10:47 pm

I decided to reduce the road noise I should cover the wheel arches as much as possible
Then cut the final insultion to size and glue that on and tape round the edges
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby timoat » Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 am

On a side note, why don't you use punctuation?
timoat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wadey » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 pm

timoat wrote:On a side note, why don't you use punctuation?

English was never my strong subject I normally try to go back and add all the full stops and stuff but I guess I forgot this time sorry
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue May 09, 2017 6:56 am

Punctuation is for pussies :x

Looking good btw :D
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wadey » Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Punctuation is for pussies :x

Yea it is thanks

Vans at Vospers now being re Sealed
They gave me a fiesta as a courtacy car hopefully it won't be to long as I want my van back !
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby timoat » Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 am

bigjohnthomas wrote:Punctuation is for pussies :x

I always say, "Punctuation is for clarity" hehe
timoat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Camper vans and conversions