*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which type of glass to fit

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Which type of glass to fit

Postby FriMoWoBaMe » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi,

We just start with our project to convert a transit into a camper van and one of the first items to do is to fit some extra windows. Looking around on the web and calling with a few companies, it looks like there are two after-market windows for a Transit mk8 (jumbo), either privacy without slider or green-tinted with the option to get a slider in the glass. As the plan is to sleep with 5 people in the van, some sliders seem the best option, but we are not sure about the green-tinted glass. Our preference is actually the privacy glass options. Anybody any thoughts :?:

FriMo
FriMoWoBaMe

Re: Which type of glass to fit

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 pm

We were so glad we chose privacy glass in the end. Just the right amount of privacy from the outside, and light reduction inside. (We bought Ford's own glass - about 40% tint, if I recall.) The standard 9% green tint would have left the van like a fish bowl - those Mk8 windows are biiiiig!
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Tue May 02, 2017 10:44 pm

psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Beaker » Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 am

Try here for all Transit versions:

http://www.vanbond.co.uk/

Chris from Vanbond put side and rear door windows in our Mk.7 and did a fantastic job for a very reasonable price - especially considering he did it outside my front door.

Full privacy is by far the best option. Easy enough to see out, even when driving at night. The "tint" windows are basically only slightly tinted - like your windscreen, so everyone will be able to see in from the outside. I opted not to have opening ones, but he will fit openers if you want them.

I can't recommend him highly enough.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions