*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Foam for seat/bed - recommendations?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Foam for seat/bed - recommendations?

Postby GuyT » Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Hello all,

It's been a while and not a lot happened but yesterday and today I feel like Ive leaped forward, the basic 12v power circuit is all working and I've tidied up some ends....... to the point where she's ready for a weekend away :)

I need to buy some foam for the seating/bed, can anyone make any recommendations of where to buy. I'm thinking of 4" foam, I'm guessing this is best?

Please let me know.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Foam for seat/bed - recommendations?

Postby GuyT » Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Has anyone used thefoamshop.co.uk ???

cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm

2 inch King size memory foam mattress topper off egay 2m x1.9 I tink
Fold it in half and you've got a good 4 inch 38quid
I have 2 in the back of my van
They are great for choking the chicken on :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu May 25, 2017 4:33 pm

I used 5" foam in the end. My wife says she's grateful for the extra inch :wink:
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu May 25, 2017 4:50 pm

:lol: you've got to think of your girth
Or in foam terms density
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Fri May 26, 2017 1:05 am

GuyT wrote:Has anyone used thefoamshop.co.uk ???

cheers

Not tried them yet, but that's who we are looking at to get mattresses from.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Tue May 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Well Ive ordered the recommended 'Premium reflex 40H' foam at 10cm depth. As I have a low roof and the seat sits over the wheel arches their isn't a huge amount of head room. If the comfort isnt there then I shall order an additional memory foam topper. I spoke to one of the ladies at thefoamshop and she was helpful (mentioned the idea of an additional memeory foam topper) so it was worth a call although she didn't want to commit to what she thought was the best foam option, she did say it was an individual thing.

Anyway, its been ordered....... as they have a super intelligent machine that only cuts the foam when the numbers add up to make it super environmentally friendly so as little waste as possible (and also naturally more profitable ) I don't have a delivery date!!! I'll know when its on its way when the delivery company contact me.... so make sure you order in advance. If its here for the weekend when i want to go away I'll be amazed but I'll update you all :D

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Remix » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 pm

I ordered from thefoamshop...

worst company ive ever dealt with, MEGA slow delivery, the rudest MD ive ever known...

Get it from ebay and cut it yourself and save 75% of the cost it would cost you from the thefoamshop

:D
..:: 2004 MK6 85ps T280 SWB Low Roof 2.0 TDDi ::..
Remix
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beaker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Remix wrote:I ordered from thefoamshop...

worst company ive ever dealt with, MEGA slow delivery, the rudest MD ive ever known...

Get it from ebay and cut it yourself and save 75% of the cost it would cost you from the thefoamshop

:D

We got mattresses from them a few weeks ago and we are well pleased with them. We phoned our order through as I was struggling with the options on the website. The young lady on the phone was great and got us what we wanted - 4 inch foam with a 1 inch memory foam top - and gave us a 10% discount on the web price.

She quoted a week for delivery, but after a week with no delivery confirmation email we phoned to check. The boss answered and was extremely apologetic saying that the memory foam had not arrived from the suppliers. He did say they were very short staffed with a very high work load, but promised to get ours out ASAP.

Delivery eventually took almost two weeks, but we were pleased with the result. My wife phoned to say how happy we were with the mattresses, and again, the boss answered. He apologised again for the delivery taking longer than it should and gave my wife some great advice on the best way to go about sewing up covers for them.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions