*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

First camper, few questions about 2nd battery *pics*

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

First camper, few questions about 2nd battery *pics*

Postby Transit-Rich » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi all,

First camper and I have a few questions that i'm still a little confused about with the electric side of things.

My mk4 is fitted with a leisure battery as standard (recently put replacement in as old was leaking).
Is it common for electrical 3-pin switches on campers to only work when the cable (found on campsites) is hooked up? I have a switch inside my camper, 'car', 'off' and 'van'. When I select 'van' I can get all electrics to work except the sockets?

Secondly, on my leisure battery it has 'not splittable' written on front, am I right in saying this will not be charging whilst moving and only with the electric hook-up?
Thank you,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit 260 - 2002 - SWB MID TOP
75 mapped to 100
Transit-Rich
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: First camper, few questions about 2nd battery *pics*

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:32 pm

You will only be able to use the 240 volt sockets when on hook up
And your leisure battery should change up with engine running and on hook up
If it's been wired correctly
On some vehicles the 12 volt system will not not work while engine is running so that it allows
The leisure battery to fully charge but a separate feed is normally fitted to allow for the fridge to be used only when vehicle is being driven
But like I have said it all depends how it's been wired up
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transit-Rich » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 pm

KING OF ENGLAND wrote:You will only be able to use the 240 volt sockets when on hook up
And your leisure battery should change up with engine running and on hook up
If it's been wired correctly
On some vehicles the 12 volt system will not not work while engine is running so that it allows
The leisure battery to fully charge but a separate feed is normally fitted to allow for the fridge to be used only when vehicle is being driven
But like I have said it all depends how it's been wired up

Excellent, thank you :) That's reassuring, I was switching and trying all different fuse on/off combinations (there is a mini fuse box in front) without hookup. That's good, that makes sense.

"And your leisure battery should change up with engine running and on hook up If it's been wired correctly"
- I'll double check with power meter asap, it was just when I noticed 'not splittable' written in bold on that Exide battery (which I was told is popular in the leisure industry) it threw me. Hopefully it is charging.

Just need to replace the main battery now as that is very old, will start researching :) I think these are the 096 type?

Thanks again :)
75 mapped to 100
Transit-Rich
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Transit-Rich » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:59 pm

If anyone did know of a good brand/model choice for a mk4 2.5 TD diesel please let me know :) I'm shopping this week. I'm pretty sure it is the 096 type?
75 mapped to 100
Transit-Rich
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions