*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

options for transferring leisure battery system

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

options for transferring leisure battery system

Postby markfenton99 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:01 pm

I recently upgraded from a 2004 Connect to 2014 Custom and was hoping to transfer over my leisure battery. I've been using a Durite VSR system which has been working fine on the old Connect but I believe the VSR is not suitable for the newer Euro 5 vehicles with smart altenators. I've been doing some reasearch on here and other websites and I think I have a few options but it's giving me a bit of a headache, I think i find a solution then find a problem. I've listed the options below and if anyone can advise if my understanding is correct it would be much appreciated before I shell out any cash

Option 1 Use current VSR
- Not suitable for smart altenators
- Charging mode can be changed to standard charging as per instruction in BEMM but permanent change to standard charging can cause damage apparently
- VSR does not disconnect at engine off and can stay connected for some time, not ideal according to BEMM and disconnection should be at engine off.

Option 2 Fit leisure battery alongside starter battery using Ford supplied dual battery kit for wiring and relay

- paying Ford prices for parts - not sure what this is yet but all dealers screw you on cost don't they
- Would this connect leisure and starter battery at ignition on? If so would this damage leisure battery as it is not designed for starting vehicles?
+ fitment would be as intended by Ford so no issues caused
+ batteries disconnect at ignition off

Option 3 Buy a battery to battery charger
- £200 extra spend
+ designed to work with smart altenators
+ better, fuller charging of battery

Looks like option 2 or 3 are possible but can anyone advise on any advantages / disadvantages of each? I have a feeling the cost is going to be similar for both.

Cheers
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: options for transferring leisure battery system

Postby ake » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:28 pm

The custom has a customer connection cable to control a split charge relay, it's only active with engine running.
You would just need a standard switching relay

Full details in the BEMM manual that you can download at etis.ford.com
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby markfenton99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

ok, I'll check it out. I did check the BEMM and noticed the customer connection points on the side if the seat but there are no wires to this, I assumed this was an extra that was not fitted on my van.
I downloaded the BEMM and found the electrics are much more complicated than what I am used to with my limited knowledge.

cheers
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

I bit the bullet and splashed out on a battery to battery charger for the same reason - smart alternator. Seemed like a lot of money at the time, but best decision I could have made. The thing is just soooo efficient, that with even a small amount of driving each day my leisure battery is back up to 100% each evening. Hence if you don't want or can't get hookup, and you're not parking and leaving your vehicle for days, this is the perfect solution. A B2B charger will also keep your leisure battery healthy and hence save you money in the long run, as your batteries will last longer. Yes a load of dosh, but couldn't recommend one highly enough. I bought this... http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/sterling- ... v-30a.html
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby markfenton99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:54 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:I bit the bullet and splashed out on a battery to battery charger for the same reason - smart alternator. Seemed like a lot of money at the time, but best decision I could have made. The thing is just soooo efficient, that with even a small amount of driving each day my leisure battery is back up to 100% each evening. Hence if you don't want or can't get hookup, and you're not parking and leaving your vehicle for days, this is the perfect solution. A B2B charger will also keep your leisure battery healthy and hence save you money in the long run, as your batteries will last longer. Yes a load of dosh, but couldn't recommend one highly enough. I bought this... http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/sterling- ... v-30a.html

Cheers for the feedback, that is exactly what I am looking at for the B2B option. I did wonder how well it would charge doing a 40 minute commute each way each day, sounds like it will be fine.
How have you wired up the negative? directly onto the battery terminal? That's how the manufacturer suggest but I seem to recall something different from the Ford BEMM
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:46 am

The B2B charger has three connections, one to the starter battery positive, one to the leisure battery positive, and one to earth. My earth is a short run to nearest point I could connect to the van's metal frame. I sanded down to bare metal, bolted the earth connector on, then covered the connection with lithium grease to prevent corrosion. I can't see any problem wiring the earth to the leisure battery negative if you wish, though. After all it's all on the same circuit.

Note the positive connections must be fused (e.g. 40A) as close to the battery positives as possible :-)

It's hard to say exactly, but I'm pretty sure that with 80 mins driving, a leisure battery (e.g. mine's 120Ah) down to about 60% would be back up to 100% by the end of the day.

12V Planet to do a kit with all the cabling and fuses you need - you just tell them your cable run lengths. As a newbie I opted for that to be on the safe side... http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-cha ... asure.html I recall mine came to about £290 including the B2B charger.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby markfenton99 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Leisure battery all wired up and charging nicely, happy days.
Just in time for our holiday tomorrow night :D
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Camper vans and conversions