*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Curtains!! Help needed

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Curtains!! Help needed

Postby Landylady » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Hello :) new to the group , we have a MK5 we have converted to a camper van , I'm wondering what everyone has used for the doors and windscreen to block out light /privacy?

The side windows are ok as can run curtain wire along the top , but not sure how to fasten on the front windows!

I've looked at the wrap around thermal covers , but I'm a typical yorkshire lass and want to save the £

Thanks!
Landylady

Re: Curtains!! Help needed

Postby vampirequeen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I used some left over silver insulation stuff. I bought some suction hooks and pushed them through the silver stuff (held in place by duct tape). The suction cups hold it onto the windscreen.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vampirequeen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:13 pm

I'd be interested if you find another way of doing it.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:01 pm

What about just a normal van sunshade that goes inside the windscreen? Or take the idea from caravans and run tracks at top and bottom of windscreen, the curtains have plastic studs which run in the tracks, can remove the curtains when driving?
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Whats this a mothers meeting :?: :wink: :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm

My wife is making blackout "pads" for our side and rear door windows using left over thermal insulation sheet bonded to wax tablecloth material. Cut exactly to size they just push in place and pull out again - no need for any fixings at all. Cheap and funky looking.

I have a curtain rail to fit to the front of the overcab storage shelf, and the wife is making some blackout curtains for it. This should stop any light coming in from the cab. We have a really good fabric warehouse place in town that sells materials spectacularly cheap for roll ends.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Landylady » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Beaker wrote:My wife is making blackout "pads" for our side and rear door windows using left over thermal insulation sheet bonded to wax tablecloth material. Cut exactly to size they just push in place and pull out again - no need for any fixings at all. Cheap and funky looking.

I have a curtain rail to fit to the front of the overcab storage shelf, and the wife is making some blackout curtains for it. This should stop any light coming in from the cab. We have a really good fabric warehouse place in town that sells materials spectacularly cheap for roll ends.

That sounds like a good idea! Just need some thing that can get put up and down quickly while not been to bulky !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Landylady

Postby Beaker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Landylady wrote:
Beaker wrote:My wife is making blackout "pads" for our side and rear door windows using left over thermal insulation sheet bonded to wax tablecloth material. Cut exactly to size they just push in place and pull out again - no need for any fixings at all. Cheap and funky looking.

That sounds like a good idea! Just need some thing that can get put up and down quickly while not been to bulky !

Our thoughts exactly. They are thin, very light and fit over the cab taking hardly any space at all. The tablecloth material is ideal as it is completely waterproof, so no problems with any condensation on the windows. Best of all, it does not need any kind of edging or binding - if you use a sharp knife to cut it, the edges don't fray.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JayKay3000 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Why don't you just mount a rail or similar where the bulkhead would be and mount blackout curtains on this. It's what my van has an no one can see in. Got poppers to put them together in the middle and don't keep nothing visible in the cab area. I've also got a curtain on my side window and it's tinted. Tint good for the day, curtain works at night.

I've found the central curtains blocks out plenty of light and no one can see me even with all the lights on back there. Privacy (for everyone else) was one of my biggest concerns.

I know they can look into the cab. I had thought about putting a sign reading 'if you can read this you're being too nosy'
JayKay3000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Landylady » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:34 pm

The front seats swivel and we use them on an evening and these would be blocked if we mounted curtains of the bulkhead :)

Landylady

Postby Campervan Handyman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Cut some blackout curtains to the same size as the window and seem the edges and use velcro to attach and remove quickly :-)

Thats my 2 pennies worth :-)
On YOUTUBE I am "Campervan Handyman" & posting videos of my Campervan progress ! !

https://www.youtube.com/campervanhandyman
Campervan Handyman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 am

I have had the thermal ones that hold on with suckers but sometimes difficult to get to stop on get up in the morning and sometimes one or to had fell off tryed the outside ones but not good to fit when raining and wet to store somewhere on the form someone pointed out that you can use them on the inside othe van so tryed that and they do work well I do that in winter but in summer I use a home made curtains hole up by popper studs I have also fitted popper studs to the sliver screen but for my nexted van I will look at fitting curtain rails to the cab or them fancy built in ones the professionals fit depending on how my build budget gets on I've had my current van 8.5 years and it is still no finished as they say a home built camper van is only finished when you sell it as once it is useable it will get used and not finished
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vampirequeen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 am

Just been talking to someone with a van. They have a long piece of blackout/thermal fabric that they round the cab using bull dog clips. Worked really well. May change to that method.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Siver sceen cover
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Noctule » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Instead of going to the expense of silver foil how about using foam camping mat? Cut it right and it will hold itself in behind the a-pillar trims and sun visors. The sucky hooks can be had from pound shop for the side windows.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee