*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6-7 jumbo conversion?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

mk6-7 jumbo conversion?

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:20 am

hi guys i nearly bought a mk6 partially converted last year as a project but missed out on the sale, it had the rear quarter boxed off with the bed above and storage below underneath.
im thinking about buying a bare jumbo and starting from scratch myself but wondered has anyone got any pics for ideas of theyre diy conversions!!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: mk6-7 jumbo conversion?

Postby mistericeman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 am

We bought a ex Balfour Beaty crew bus last year... it had already been converted and then stripped out by the P/O
Suited us as we wanted a permanent double at the rear with storage underneath AND room for wet dogs to be loaded wet from the beach into the back and then let through into the living area when dried off a bit.
We tend to mostly wild camp so wanted solar and inverter (didn't want gas on board)as we cook with microwave /toaster /kettle /slow cooker etc....
heating is from a eberspacher D2.

It's done us proud so far including 2 weeks up the West Coast of Scotland and Yorkshire/Wales over Christmas and the new year.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:52 am

Mr Iceman has the same layout in his Jumbo - bed above large storage area - in his case for his dogs. There are loads of photos of his van in this section - just have a look around.

It's quite a common layout with sporty types too, with mountain bikes and the like stored in a big space under the bed.

The best thing you can do IMO is to sign up for a Pinterest account and search campervans. You will get so many ideas from builders all around the world that you will be spoiled for choice. American and Australian builds are especially inspiring as they seem to have a lot more imagination as to what you can put in a van - maybe regulations are not so strict there?
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:54 am

HA ha, he's beaten me to it. :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:33 pm

thanks guys, those pics are great pal really got me thinking.
ive been looking for a mk6 on a budget and as usual most are rot boxes, im not fussed about the mileage or engine as i can sort that but bodywork id like something clean-ish to start the build on.
im thinking the rear a bed with storage underneath then a toilet just to the side and mini kitchen along the other side then a corner L shaped seating around the front with a built in pull out frame for another bed!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mistericeman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Fortunately ours wasnt too bad rust wise (barring a bit in the sills )
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 pm

I deliberately kept our interior as open as I could as i didn't want it to feel like a caravan....
and we didn't need a fixed kitchen unit etc...
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby straydog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:13 pm

My Mk7 bus.

Dog
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby straydog » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am

Bloody Photobucket..... drives me nuts!!!!!
They now want $400 to host my pics... yea that's going to happen.

What to others use,apart from Photobucket?
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am

straydog wrote:Bloody Photobucket..... drives me nuts!!!!!
They now want $400 to host my pics... yea that's going to happen.

What to others use,apart from Photobucket?

Load pictures direct to the forum using the upload attachment at the bottom of the reply box, hope that helps that's 4,000,000 sovs please :lol: N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby straydog » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am

nedforceone wrote:Load pictures direct to the forum using the upload attachment at the bottom of the reply box, hope that helps that's 4,000,000 sovs please :lol: N

Ouch!!!! :lol:

Tried again with new acc...
Looks like it's going to work this time.

Mods please delete first post. Thanks

My Mk7 bus

straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:04 pm

glenandemm wrote:thanks guys, those pics are great pal really got me thinking.
ive been looking for a mk6 on a budget and as usual most are rot boxes, im not fussed about the mileage or engine as i can sort that but bodywork id like something clean-ish to start the build on.
im thinking the rear a bed with storage underneath then a toilet just to the side and mini kitchen along the other side then a corner L shaped seating around the front with a built in pull out frame for another bed!
I have a 2011 jumbo trend for sale , it has 205,000 miles on it ,silver colour its 140bhp has sat nav cruise control ,chrome trim, heated front screen ,electric mirrors ,auto wipers and headlights , the seats have always had covers so are like new , it starts and drives perfect , I have put 3/4 of these miles on in the last 3 years , it has full service history and all the recipts to go with it , now the down side ,there is a paint blemish on the rear quarter that was done before is brought it and it has a minor engine knock , it has been into a garage twice and they still don't know what it is ,cause of this it is being sold as spares or repairs even though it still starts and drives perfect ,I did 5000 miles since the noise begun , I have now brought a new van so no longer needed , I want £3000 no vat for the van , I may sound like I am blowing my own trumpet but you will not find a better van for the money even if the worst happened and the engine blew and it is a perfect van for a camper , it has keys and I have log books , the mot run out today but if you buy I will put it in for mot included in the price . £3000
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm

RECKLESS ROAD wrote:
glenandemm wrote:thanks guys, those pics are great pal really got me thinking.
I have a 2011 jumbo trend for sale , it has 205,000 miles on it ,silver colour its 140bhp has sat nav cruise control ,chrome trim, heated front screen ,electric mirrors ,auto wipers and headlights , the seats have always had covers so are like new , it starts and drives perfect , I have put 3/4 of these miles on in the last 3 years , it has full service history and all the recipts to go with it , now the down side ,there is a paint blemish on the rear quarter that was done before i brought it and it has a minor engine knock , it has been into a garage twice and they still don't know what it is , they though it was rocker arm rattle so they replaced the brace £300 and it still did it ,cause of this it is being sold as spares or repairs even though it still starts and drives perfect ,I did 5000 miles since the noise begun , I have now brought a new van so no longer needed , I want £3000 no vat for the van , I may sound like I am blowing my own trumpet but you will not find a better van for the money even if the worst happened and the engine blew and it is a perfect van for a camper , it has keys and I have log books , the mot run out today but if you buy I will put it in for mot included in the price . £3000
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby glenandemm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 pm

any pics pal and how does it run with the knock?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 am

glenandemm wrote:any pics pal and how does it run with the knock?
Sent you a pm mate
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions