*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Campfires?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Campfires?

Postby Aqw1942 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Newb question...

I'm planning out my adventure van. Pretty solid on the design and ready to go as soon as I find the right foundation.

Question though...a big part of being outdoors is ending the day around a campfire. I realize this can't happen all the time but question for those of you boonie traveling. Since not at a "campground", gasp, and often technically trespassing, what are your thoughts and practices on fires? Do any of you carry a small pit?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Any
Aqw1942

Re: Campfires?

Postby Beaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:30 pm

I guess it depends on a lot of factors - location, weather, soil type, availability of firewood for a start. Remember almost all wildfire disasters are caused by humans - accidentally or deliberately, through carelessness or ignorance, or just plain don't give a f**k. You don't want to end up killing yourself, other people or be responsible for destroying miles of countryside. It can and does happen.

For a start, anywhere in a fire prohibited area - absolutely not.

Anywhere on grassland or in woodland in very dry weather - absolutely not.

Anywhere on peaty soil in a dry spell - absolutely not.

Anywhere where you need to damages trees or bushes to get firewood - absolutely not.

I would say the back of a deserted beach with plenty of driftwood should be ok - as long as you dig the fire into a pit and bury all trace afterwards.

I know Bushcrafters who can spend a week in the woods with a fire going constantly. When they leave you can't even tell they were there - everything is carefully removed or buried, including the fire. They know what they are doing and treat the surroundings with respect.

I personally hate seeing remnants of campfires - especially with the usual accompanying garbage, it's just plain inconsiderate. Either learn how to dig a proper fire pit and replace the turf afterwards or don't do it at all.

A friend of mine takes a large steel fire basket and a supply of wood with him in his van.

Having said all that, I love a good campfire too, I'm just extremely careful as to where and when. And if I do ever light one, I would want to do it in such a way that no one would know the next day.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 pm

One more thing - I'm a frequent visitor to Scandinavia. You'd be suprised how many campsites have communal campfire pits with logs around them to sit on, even if fires and barbeques are not allowed elsewhere on the site - especially in Norway.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

I only use sites. But i do take a small pit with legs. I also peg down a piece of carbon fibre underneath to help prevent any embers etc from damaging the grass, a bit of a pain to clean. When i pack it up it lives in a big polythene sheet and is stored under a bench in the garden. (stink your van out if you dont clean and pack it etc) .
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions