*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Upgrading the alloy wheels

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Upgrading the alloy wheels

Postby DIGGER73 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 am

Good morning. I have a SWB Custom Limited which I've converted to a campervan. I want to put 18" alloys on it instead of my 16" alloys. Is this a simple process? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Thanks in advance.
DIGGER73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Upgrading the alloy wheels

Postby Punto443 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:11 am

Yes, fairly simple.

You just need to make sure the load rating of the new ones is capable of handling the maximum weight of the vehicle.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Beaker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 am

Yes, a simple job as long as they has the same number of bolt holes and in the same position as your existing wheels.

As Punto says, you must check the load rating is suitable for the maximum weight of your van.

The only other consideration is tyres, and I would check out the availability and suitability of tyres before you pull the trigger on new rims. I suggest you look at the online retailers Oponeo and Mytres to see what is available as they have a massive choice at good prices - both these places sell alloys as well as tyres, so if they they have the alloys you want you can order them with matching tyres at the same time.

The Oponeo website has an excellent tyre size calculator so you can find suitable profiles and diameters without messing up your speedo too much.

Remember that tyres also need to be correctly load rated.

A final note of caution that you may already be aware of as you have converted to a camper already - but maybe not: try not to get blindsided by form over function. Big alloys ans skinny tyres may look great, but you you want this van to have some rough road and off road capability. Ensure your choice of rubber can cope with farm tracks and muddy fields!

I was on a campsite last week on Gower in Wales for three days of torrential rain - almost every van and motorhome needed to be towed out by tractor.
One guy drove in in a really nice old VW t4 with big rims and skinny tyres and could not even get across the twenty feet of grass from the tarmac road to his hard standing pitch. After a couple of attempts he gave up and left.

I easily drove out unaided and with no wheelspin at all on my mud and snow rated Nokian Weatherproof C tyres.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Punto443 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am

Oh, and my 18’s eat tyres!

9k our a set of fronts and you will notice 2-3mpg less on your fuel in my experience.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Just to add - you need to make sure the load rating is appropriate for axle weight rather than overall weight, as front rear axle weights differ. You also need to make sure you can get appropriately load rated tyres for the new wheels first as well!
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DIGGER73 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Thank you everybody. Never thought about the mud etc... Will consider my options.
DIGGER73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beaker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:Just to add - you need to make sure the load rating is appropriate for axle weight rather than overall weight, as front rear axle weights differ. You also need to make sure you can get appropriately load rated tyres for the new wheels first as well!

There have been a few people on here who had struggled to get tyres with the correct load rating after swapping wheels. They have found tyres easy enough that would fit, but are really only suitable for SUVs, so do your homework thoroughly on the tyres before getting your wheels.

It's the main reason I opted not to change my 15" standard steel wheels on my van. I can live with them looking a bit ridiculousy small, for the extra choice and cheaper price of tyres.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:32 am

Beaker wrote:There have been a few people on here who had struggled to get tyres with the correct load rating after swapping wheels. They have found tyres easy enough that would fit, but are really only suitable for SUVs, so do your homework thoroughly on the tyres before getting your wheels.

Exactly Beaker. Which is why I wanted to draw attention to it. I wanted to get some larger alloys for my Mk8 Transit. Easy enough. But could not get appropriately load rated tyres - hence didn't bother.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions