*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Recommendations for occasional use toilet

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Recommendations for occasional use toilet

Postby richbee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:29 pm

HI folks,
I've got a Custom DCIV L2 which I use for mountain biking and camping in.
I'm thinking that an occasional use toilet would really increase the versatility and number of places I can camp with my girlfriend. I'm guessing it would have to be stored in the back while travelling - wondering which ones are good, well sealed from smells without costing the earth - and any other suggestions for places to fit, store, use etc?

Thanks in advance

Richard
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Recommendations for occasional use toilet

Postby Beaker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 pm

I've got a Thetford Porta Poti Cube 45 in my camper. They are really small, with a typical house toilet seat height, so they are comfortable to sit on. and the small squarish shape means you should easily be able to tuck it somewhere - mine is in a little compartment behind the drivers seat.

They are well made, solid and extremely stable. They also have a sliding "lid" to the waste compartment so you can seal the waste in after use, so no risk of smells or spillage if you have to brake sharply.

Easily available - we got ours from Jacksons for £50.

Not had to use it in anger yet, but nice to know it's there when we eventually need it!

https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/porta-potti-qube-145/
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Yes the Porta Poti is a good choice had one or two over the years very good but make sure you store it well in the van when top water tank is full and bottom empty they are top heavy and will turnover easily
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ceurieusneus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 pm

dumper wrote:Yes the Porta Poti is a good choice had one or two over the years very good but make sure you store it well in the van when top water tank is full and bottom empty they are top heavy and will turnover easily

Dam right as I learned it the "Hard" way :oops: :mrgreen:
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for that feedback - especially the hard learned lessons about strapping it down :lol:
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks for that guys - I've taken it away with us a couple of times, but never actually filled it with water, so did not know they were top heavy with the cistern full.
I will make sure I have it restrained before taking it away again. It's a snug fit in my storage compartment anyway, but better safe than sorry.

As far as using them goes, the general consensus of opinion (according to several forums) is to only use it when absolutely necessary.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Contrary to what you might think, if you do a 'number 2' in a chemical toilet, it's far less offensive emptying it the longer it is left in there. The chemicals break it down and neuralise it.

We've used a Porta Potti for decades (not the same one!), and provided you keep it clean and the chemicals right, it a great thing to have. Keeping some Dettol wet wipes in your van to wipe it over each day really helps. (Don't flush them though!)

Happy toileting.....
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 am

We have a Thetford Cube 335 . I made a snug fitting green cover for it from the same material used to cover garden furniture. It has a neat ‘hold down kit’ to attach the toilet to the floor of the van (originally designed for use on boats - essential I would think :) !). One simple action releases the toilet.W 3.3 Kg Dimensions 31.3 x 34.2 x 38.2 cm'' It is a fair bit lower in height than others in the range which is handy for storage but might not suit some folk.
There are two bottles stored in the base which hold a small supplies of fluid and freshener.
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 am

Forgot to say - The reason why we went for the lower height loo is because it is a perfect fit in the space under the flip up SL3 1200 Schnierle slide seat/bed
http://www.schnierle.de/index.php/sl-3- ... #animation
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions