*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Converting mk8 17 seat bus to campervan

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Converting mk8 17 seat bus to campervan

Postby dumper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi has anybody converted a bus to a campervan when it’s done I know how to get it registered plenty of help on hear but till it’s done what do I register it as with the dvla as soon as I get it home the seats will be removed only the front seats will remain Adrian flux are happy to insure it as camper in build i will remove taco and speed limiter as soon as it is not classed as a bus thanks for any help
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Converting mk8 17 seat bus to campervan

Postby Beaker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:46 pm

As far as the DVLA are concerned, it remains a bus until you have completed your build and submit your log book for re-registering. As soon as they give the it ok and change the log, it will cease to be a bus and start it's new life as a Motor Caravan. There is no need to inform DVLA that you are doing a conversion as there are no "in between" categories it would come under.

I phoned or emailed DVLA as well as DVSA on a few occasions while planning and building my van for advice or clarification, and they were happy to spend the time to help, so if you have any queries at all about what you are doing, get in touch with them. Like you, I was concerned that I might be doing something illegal without even realising it, but to be honest, they were really relaxed about everything I was asking.

Good luck with it - sounds like an awesome project. :D :D :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:24 pm

What Beaker said is correct. And I also found DVLA and DVSA very helpful.

One tip - you can get a 6 foot bed in crossways in the Mk8 if you have it a bit higher and go into the window recesses.

Mine was a van before I started but I got full side windows put in, meaning that it's more or less the same as yours after the seats come out.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks for that beaker rang dvla told me to tax it at the post office when I get one as private light goods as it is same tax class as a camper van
Yes hector not shore what ley out it will be have looked at putting one 6 foot bed across the van and one length ways on o/s of van and kitchen unit on the n/s with a bulkhead across the van to give a storage area for fishing gear at the back .
But it’s looking more likely that I will build it the same as my present van which has two bulkheads with doors the kitchen unit is behind the drivers seat and the first bulkhead is just behind it then is two six foot beds one each side of the van the second bulkhead and door to give the area for the fishing gear .
I was really looking for a 470 twin wheel van to do the conversion as I only whanted one window in the van but they are like rocking horse poo but there are lots of low mileage bus’s about bad poin to many windows but most come with single passenger seat power step and all the toys when I get one I will strip out the complete rear and sell it off all the windows apart from the door and one behind the drivers will be boreded over and insulated I will be fitting a awning to the n/s my present van is still a good van the only reason to build a new van is if I don’t do it now I never will looked at just fitting a awning to my van but it’s a lot work to fit to a old van
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby straydog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm struggling with my Mk7 17 seater bus.
I'm trying at the moment to get it changed to motorcaravan.
The main problem is there is no " Revenue weight" shown on the log book, because it's a "Bus"

My last RFL was £160 (Or £165 I forget).
I was told If i just send of for a change they are going to charge me £500+ RFL Depending on the emissions,
because there is no Revenue weight on the log book.
I've contacted Ford, as the DVLA told me itt was them that can supply the correct documentation for the vehicle to prove the revenue weight.
Well Ford informs me they they do not keep records for vehicles older than 2010 (Mines an 08) FUGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To avoid this I must get it weighed and if the Net weight(NOT Mass/Gross) is under 3.5t then my RFL would be £240
If it's over 3.5t Net then it would cost £165.......Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm now stuck because the RFL has run out so have had to put it on SORN till I can get it sorted.

On all my other vehicles the "Revenue weight" is the same as the Mass/Gross weight.
But for some reason the are telling me its the NET WEIGHT of a Motorcaravan!!!!!
So guessing I'm going to have to get it weighed.
Which I know will be under 3.5t Net and pay £240 RFL :(
Still guess that's better than the 500 quid they threatened. o_o

Has anyone had this problem or know an easy solution?

Dog

FYI My bed is just on 6Ft across the vehicle, using the window recess.
Been using it for about 3 months and it's fine
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 am

When I get one I want it to be under 3005 kg so the speed limits are the same as a car but when I rang dvla was told send off green slip and tax as plg looks like I have trouble ahead
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm

dumper wrote:When I get one I want it to be under 3005 kg so the speed limits are the same as a car but when I rang dvla was told send off green slip and tax as plg looks like I have trouble ahead

Hey Dumper, this a common misconception but changing the body type of a vehicle to motor caravan does not mean that speed limits are changed to that of a car, irrespective of it's weight. Speed limits are based on CLASS not body type. I.e. if your van was a PLG (van) before ot was a caravan, then it's speed limits will always be that of a van. I've got this in writing from the horses mouth (DVSA), as I contacted them for info.

It makes sense if you think about it, as how fast a vehicle can safely go is based on mechanical factors, and not on how the inside is fitted out. If you buy a brand new camper van, then it's mechanics are type approved for car speed limits, and body type is not PLG. The only way you can get your speed limits changed is if you went through the Individual Type Approval process with the DVSA (which is expensive), and had the vehicle class changed, got a new chassis number etc. I don't know of anyone who has done that though.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I don’t now about that but on duel carriageway roads with a 70 mph limit and a single carriageway with 60 mph speed limit I have gone thro speed cameras of all types at the max limit with campervans for over 30 years and been followed and passed police cars and never been pulled have I just been lucky
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm

dumper wrote:I don’t now about that but on duel carriageway roads with a 70 mph limit and a single carriageway with 60 mph speed limit I have gone thro speed cameras of all types at the max limit with campervans for over 30 years and been followed and passed police cars and never been pulled have I just been lucky

Yes you have been lucky I guess. I'm not sure if the cameras are clever enough to know whether you're a type-approved motorcaravan by class, or a body-type (description) change only.

In case you're interested, here's the relevant section on what the DVSA said to me:

However, it should be noted that even if the DVLA accept that the vehicle now meets the definition as a Motor Caravan, the vehicle class will not change on the V5 (registration document) only the vehicle description. If the vehicle was approved as an N1 Goods vehicle it will still be listed as an N1 Goods vehicle. This will have an impact on such items as speed limits applied to the vehicle and the London Congestion charge. If the intention is to have the vehicle both viewed and described as a Motor Caravan, then it must either be issued with a new chassis number and approved as an M1 passenger vehicle under the IVA scheme or, approved as a Motor Caravan prior to registration.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks for that have you seen it written down anywhere on the subject of turning a minibus into a camper have rang the dvla and got 3 different answers how many times have you rang a government department taxation department for work and pension and got a different answer done as told only to find it was wrong I just hope I stay lucky
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby straydog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

dumper wrote:.....have rang the dvla and got 3 different answers .....

Been there done that..... :roll: :roll: :evil:

SD
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 pm

dumper wrote:Thanks for that have you seen it written down anywhere on the subject of turning a minibus into a camper have rang the dvla and got 3 different answers how many times have you rang a government department taxation department for work and pension and got a different answer done as told only to find it was wrong I just hope I stay lucky

I'm sorry Dumper I don't. I must admit I would have thought it exactly the same as converting a panel van into a camper. Surprised to learn it is different. It's worth emailing the DVSA (as opposed to DVLA). They were very helpful and very thorough. This was the email I sent my questions to: approvals@vosa.gov.uk
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks hector for that will try them when I get a bus I am back looking the that a got details on the form there was something fishy about it not adding up at all time to look elsewhere m8
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Now it starts just won a 65 plate mk 8 460 bus at the auction haveing it delivered so may be after Xmas then starts the strip out will have a lot of seats to sell and possibly all the Side and roof trim if I can find a opening roof vent to replace the fixed standard one and fit a side awning to star with
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Camper vans and conversions