*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom - 240v site hook up connector

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Custom - 240v site hook up connector

Postby vanvliet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm

I am having a 240v site hook up system fitted to the van but am not keen to cut a hole in the side of the van to accommodate the hook up connector . Has anyone fitted one in another location? I have heard that VW fit them below the rear lights and some owners have modified the rear light panels and fitted a flip up lid
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Custom - 240v site hook up connector

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 pm

I have a fabulous dogs arsehole washing machine
I found the plugs you squeek of to be a bit sh*t and melt easily
So now I just have a normal 3pin plug under the passenger seat and plug my extension lead in there
All good perfect :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:22 pm

On my Mk 8 (not Custom) I put mine just inside the rear door as shown. I then simply slam the rear door on the cable, which runs out through the bottom door seal. I figured that the small break in the rubber seal won't let rain in as it can't travel upwards (and I was right!) and found that there is plenty of space for the cable when the door is shut. Temporarily having the rubber door seal squashed by the cable doesn't seem to permanently distort the seal either, but to be honest a tiny gap in the seal at the bottom wouldn't make any difference anyway. Being careful, I covered the section of my mains hookup cable where it goes through the door seal with a layer of plastic automotive conduit, for extra insulation and wear resistance. No probs at all after 18 months and lots of trips away.

Could be worth you trying with a bit of cable to see if that works on a Custom as well?

In my old van I put the socket under the floor and drilled a hole through the floor pan for the cable. This was a pain in the @rse, as I would have to lie on my back on the ground to hook up. One other option people sometimes opt for is under the bonnet, but then its a relatively tricky cable run through to the loadspace.

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby relu01 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:06 pm

I have it on my Custom bellow/behind the step of right slidning door. The fitter said that it was the easiest way to get the ca le inside trought the B pillar.
-----------------------
Relu01
relu01
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Camper vans and conversions