*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Panicking about conversion seat requirement.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Panicking about conversion seat requirement.

Postby Cheekymonkey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 am

I've converted a mk seven transit and need to get it re registered for my insurance.
I am on a deadline to have it re registered by the 24th of feb.
I've got a window, bed, table, cooker and locker etc all sorted out but im having a problem with the seat requirement.
I was under the impression that i could have a seat which folded away but looking at the DVLA requirements it implies that the seat has to be there 24/7.
Whats the minimum i can get away with there? I'll just be sat on my bed and dont actually want one.
https://imgur.com/a/xstWj
Here is a picture of my set up as it is. I was planning on having a sliding out/folding away seat that came from the bed and sat at the table.
Please help.
Cheekymonkey

Re: Panicking about conversion seat requirement.

Postby dumper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 am

As far as I see it the bed is the seating that you use in the back of the van if you sit on the beds to sit round the table to eat that’s how I see it .
On my conversation I use swivel seats for this requirement i will have to buy and fit a fixed table leg to the van to comply but I know I will never use it again as I find a moveable table is easy to use in a panel van conversion
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Second that. I think you'll be fine. Just take pics and tell them that is the seat. You need to be able to sit at your table there, and your table can be removable as long as its bracket is permanently fixed to the vehicle. E.g. It could be an island leg table with the base screwed to the floor in front of the seat.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby straydog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm waiting for my V5 to come back from the DVLA after requesting change.
Been 4 weeks now :?

The seat looks fine to me, but the DVLA is a funny old bird.
It seems to me it all depends on who you get handling your request.
Where one will accept your conversion whilst another won't.

If you Have probs then change insurer.
I'm with Adrian Flux, they were quite happy with just my word it's now finished.
Didn't need V5 proof, or even to change it at all, (according to the woman I spoke to)

HTH Dog 8)
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Taken from the DVLA website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registering-a-diy-caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome

"a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle"

"a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table"

As you can see the requirement is as clear as mud - and that is deliberately so. It gives you MANY possible options to do things, open to interpretation by you and the DVLA themselves, rather than a prescriptive tick list of "This is ok, this is not ok" items.

I have never even thought of "temporary" pull or slide out seats from the bed before - completely a new one on me. As long as they are fixed to the vehicle - "pemanently attached to the vehicle" - which yours are via the bed, they should be perfectly acceptable.

Don't worry too much - just take decent photos that clearly show the seating - put cushions on them if necessary - Dvla are looking out for things that look "wrong" dangerous or flimsy, rather than penalising the innovative.

Even if you get a rejection - which I doubt, you can always appeal and they will call it in to be inspected. That way you can easily prove to them your genius idea complies with the regs and is safe. :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am

I've converted and re-registered a couple of vans and as long as you include pics of the build showing the main bits and a good text description of what you have done you should be fine, they mainly want to see that it is actually converted to a motorcaravan and not just a van with a mattress and calor cooker thrown in the back trying to get cheaper insurance.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Camper vans and conversions