*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need advice for camper conversion...

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Need advice for camper conversion...

Postby fordcampergirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi all,

I have enjoyed all of the shared knowledge on this forum and am hoping for some advice. I want to do a *simple* camper conversion on a Ford Transit passenger van (yet to be purchased). I need the passenger model (I think) because I still need to be able to haul groups of 6 kids around for camps that I do a few weeks out of the year (and only a few weeks of the year; I don't have kids of my own). I also want two side windows in the back portion (so the kids / passengers can see out) and the two back door windows for driving visibility.

The plan is to have a side-door facing bench that turns into the bed and is removable. When I remove it, I would replace it with two of the three-seat benches that came with the van. My plan is also to have the high roof and the long (but not extra long) base.

The challenge is the airbags, which I understand run the length of the walls in the Transit passenger van. How hard / easy is it to work around them? We will eventually be adding a very simple kitchen counter area with storage below (on the back right side) and and a closet with a porta-potty (back left side). The "kitchen" doesn't need cupboards, etc. Think a basic counter, maybe with a basic sink, and hopefully some storage below it.

How hard will it be to work around the airbags? Should I just purchase a cargo van and have windows, seats, walls, etc added instead? (This approach seems very daunting / not in my skill set)

Or, are there ways to bolt new fixtures to the floor and / or ceiling so that I don't actually have to mess with the airbag-filled walls? (The "fixtures" would be very simplistic.)

I'd like to purchase soon, and my head is spinning, so thank you SO MUCH in advance for you input. :)
fordcampergirl

Re: Need advice for camper conversion...

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Have you looked at ex network rail crew vans they come with a lot of gear that can be used for the conversion I am not aware of transits having airbags in the rear but someone on hear will no and be able to help
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fordcampergirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:20 am

Your post has caused me to realize that I've posted on the wrong forum. I am in the USA. Oops! But I will keep this post here still, in case others still have advice for me.
fordcampergirl

Postby Altransit » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 am

It's not really the "wrong" forum as it's an international one, but most members on here are from the UK, and will assume everyone else is, unless you tell us otherwise :lol: Putting your location on your profile will often help to remind everyone without needing to put it on every post :idea:

You must be looking at what is, to us, the latest Mk8 Transit, which are made over in the USA to a different specification to those we have in Europe :mrgreen:

There will be plenty of general camper advice available here, in spite of the differences in the vans 8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby fordcampergirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:14 am

Ok, thank you! :)
fordcampergirl

Return to Camper vans and conversions