Transitmania 10 @Santa Pod 18th to 20th May 2018

Need advice for camper conversion...

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Need advice for camper conversion...

Postby fordcampergirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi all,

I have enjoyed all of the shared knowledge on this forum and am hoping for some advice. I want to do a *simple* camper conversion on a Ford Transit passenger van (yet to be purchased). I need the passenger model (I think) because I still need to be able to haul groups of 6 kids around for camps that I do a few weeks out of the year (and only a few weeks of the year; I don't have kids of my own). I also want two side windows in the back portion (so the kids / passengers can see out) and the two back door windows for driving visibility.

The plan is to have a side-door facing bench that turns into the bed and is removable. When I remove it, I would replace it with two of the three-seat benches that came with the van. My plan is also to have the high roof and the long (but not extra long) base.

The challenge is the airbags, which I understand run the length of the walls in the Transit passenger van. How hard / easy is it to work around them? We will eventually be adding a very simple kitchen counter area with storage below (on the back right side) and and a closet with a porta-potty (back left side). The "kitchen" doesn't need cupboards, etc. Think a basic counter, maybe with a basic sink, and hopefully some storage below it.

How hard will it be to work around the airbags? Should I just purchase a cargo van and have windows, seats, walls, etc added instead? (This approach seems very daunting / not in my skill set)

Or, are there ways to bolt new fixtures to the floor and / or ceiling so that I don't actually have to mess with the airbag-filled walls? (The "fixtures" would be very simplistic.)

I'd like to purchase soon, and my head is spinning, so thank you SO MUCH in advance for you input. :)
fordcampergirl

Re: Need advice for camper conversion...

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Have you looked at ex network rail crew vans they come with a lot of gear that can be used for the conversion I am not aware of transits having airbags in the rear but someone on hear will no and be able to help
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fordcampergirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:20 am

Your post has caused me to realize that I've posted on the wrong forum. I am in the USA. Oops! But I will keep this post here still, in case others still have advice for me.
fordcampergirl

Postby Altransit » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 am

It's not really the "wrong" forum as it's an international one, but most members on here are from the UK, and will assume everyone else is, unless you tell us otherwise :lol: Putting your location on your profile will often help to remind everyone without needing to put it on every post :idea:

You must be looking at what is, to us, the latest Mk8 Transit, which are made over in the USA to a different specification to those we have in Europe :mrgreen:

There will be plenty of general camper advice available here, in spite of the differences in the vans 8) :D
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby fordcampergirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:14 am

Ok, thank you! :)
fordcampergirl

Return to Camper vans and conversions