*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Question re camper van layout for high roof, ext length

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Question re camper van layout for high roof, ext length

Postby itsavanlife » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 pm

I just bought a 2018 Ford Transit high roof, extended length to convert into a camper van, where I'll spend the vast majority of my time, basically live in.
The issue is, the van is on the narrow side.
We wanted to sleep side to side and put a "garage'' under the bed.
But it's too short.
So, I'm looking for a new layout that still squeezes in everything we wanted -- a bed, tiny shower/toilet, kitchen, small dinette.
If we run the bed lengthwise, the only idea we've heard so far to still have storage would be to put couches that convert into a bed on a raised platform with big long drawers underneath for storage. But that doesn't help much for fitting even a folding bicycle.
Any ideas?
itsavanlife

Re: Question re camper van layout for high roof, ext length

Postby dumper » Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 am

On a mk2 lwb my mate used the swivel seats as part of the bed also have a look at convert your van in Sheffield
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby GuyT » Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am

I don't mean to state the obvious but have you actually tried to lay 'side - side'. The van is different widths (ever so slightly) as you go up the body. I only have a swb/ l/r as its used as a daily driver/work van/weekend van and I built the bed front to back but it doesn't work (takes up too much space) so I'm going to rebuild. We tried to lay side - side last weekend and while its not long enough to be stretched out how often do you sleep stretched out? (I'm not really tall but I'm 5 11" (184)) Just a thought.

Long term I'm after a lwb / h/r with a fixed double and I intend going side - side with a garage underneath as you say so I'll watch this with interest

.....or could you front to back with raised fixed bed (fairly high up, submarine style :) )
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Depends how tall you are. If you are up to 6 foot you will be fine with a transverse bed. Just have the bed a little higher so it aligns with the window recesses, like I did...

MDM_9754.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby straydog » Wed May 09, 2018 5:32 pm

On my Mk7 Jumbo I fitted the bed transversely.
It's just on 180cm long and 150cm wide, so plenty of room even with for my 6ft body
My main thing is I've made it so it can be raised up to any height.
So if I need to put anything tall under it I can and still use the bed without problems.
The whole set up gives me a large usable underbed storage area.

DSCF4153.JPG

DSCF4159 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions