*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Suspending a child's bed

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Suspending a child's bed

Postby gkay » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:10 am

Hello, this is my first post!

I have read a couple of posts sort of on this topic, but still worth asking I hope.

I'd like to make a suspended stretcher-type bed in my Mk7 SWB mid-roof van directly behind the front seats at a height of around 800mm from the floor. Max weight of bed and occupant up to 70kg.

I'm thinking that I can use the bulkhead fixing points for one side of the bed by making brackets to spread the load across two fixings at each corner.

This leaves the other side of the bed to be suspended by straps/rope/wire rope from some strong points on the side walls. Where could these be? I'm thinking the horizontal beams that run above the sliding door on one side and above the window on the other. Or where these meet the vertical pillars mid way along.

The idea is to have brackets attached so that the bed can be easily removed and stored.

Any advice on string fixing points?

Cheers in advance.
gkay

Re: Suspending a child's bed

Postby gkay » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Photo showing rough idea of bed and with possible attachment points indicated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkay

Re: Suspending a child's bed

Postby maushawk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Bit late maybe, but this guy on Youtube had a genius method of fitting beds for the kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPjSZBU98Hg

The strips of wood the pipes slot into to are bolted to the horizontal metal beams (or whatever they're called) where you've indicated as points 1, 2 & 3.
maushawk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Camper vans and conversions