*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Twin Batteries

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Twin Batteries

Postby tony&kasia » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:09 pm

Hey guys i bought a custom to do a camper conversion.
It's a 2016 2.2 white in colour and has 86.000 miles.
I am at the stage to buy a leisure battery. I have noticed that there are 2 batteries already in the van.
Can i replace any of the existing batteries with a new leisure battery or do i keep the new leisure battery seperate.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
I have never liked a sardine can with a bonnet, How can you possibly own the road
tony&kasia
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Twin Batteries

Postby Altransit » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:58 pm

It's probably best to leave the two batteries as they are, and fit your leisure battery elsewhere, and charge it via a B2B charger.
That's my advice, anyway :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby dumper » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:42 pm

Altransit wrote:It's probably best to leave the two batteries as they are, and fit your leisure battery elsewhere, and charge it via a B2B charger.

That’s what I have done a Sterling b2b and two 125 amp leisure batteries I’ve kept the camper side separate from the van side electrics the only connection to the van is to the sterling unit.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bortaf » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:27 pm

dumper wrote:
Altransit wrote:It's probably best to leave the two batteries as they are, and fit your leisure battery elsewhere, and charge it via a B2B charger.

That’s what I have done a Sterling b2b and two 125 amp leisure batteries I’ve kept the camper side separate from the van side electrics the only connection to the van is to the sterling unit.

Same here :mrgreen:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby drivetheglobe » Wed May 03, 2023 10:18 pm

Hi,

I would say you could also replace if there would be enough space to do so. As both are under the seat, space is an issue.

I ve gto a camper based on a 2007 2,4l that has twin batteries and I have a 3rd one of 110Ah that is loaded when driving ( Relais on D+), with solar or land-line.
I would like to change this to have the 2nd batt combined with the leisure to have more capacity. But I heard the electronic that connects the both is a littel bit strange: its said it also combines the 2 batts during starting. This would potentially give raise to heavy currents to the 3rd batt - so did not dare yet.
HAs anybody a clear statement on how the connection of the 2 batts works?

My doughter has also a Custom - seems like yours. She is using just the second batt as it is for camping. As in such a small car, you dont usually have so much of power consumption.
Actually what costs the most in my case is the heating-vent in the winter the whole day long. And with a custom usually you do no camp in the winter with a heating. Do you? Lights are LED nowadays. REst is usually done with gas or is short term usage.

br
drivetheglobe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu May 04, 2023 9:09 am

On my set up (see below )but on my mk6 that didn’t have a smart alternator all I used was a standard split charger the one that they used for powering a fridge when the engine is running I only charged to a B2B for the mk8 it charges a lot faster so if not doing a lot of running about it is a plus but the Sterling is not cheap.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bluebottle » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 am

drivetheglobe - I wouldn't try combining batteries 2 and 3, starter batteries and leisure batteries are designed for fundamentally different output, and putting your leisure battery into a system where it has to spike out a lot of amps will not be good for it
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby marcrbarker » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:49 am

bluebottle wrote: starter batteries and leisure batteries are designed for fundamentally different output

To add a bit, a starting battery is optimised to deliver insane amount of current for a second or two, totalling a small fraction of 1 Ahr of discharge. Soon as engine starts the starting battery is hammer-charged with up to 90 Amps to put that <1Ahr back again as rapidly as possible. The way the factory 'pastes' a starting battery's plates is more to compete in a 'cold cranking amps war' than for survivability, which means the plates 'shed' like crazy when using any more than single-digit Ahrs of discharge. That's why the "A-hrs rating" is dissappearing from specs and replaced with [one-time-only] "reserve capacity".

So a leisure battery being the complete opposite to that, in order to survive needs the appropriate kind of charging while in motion. I've heard of people in past getting away with just using a series-ballast headlight bulb with a simple relay,but today two decades into the 21st century there must better!
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions