*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lowering Handbrake leads to cable housing touching RWD axle

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Lowering Handbrake leads to cable housing touching RWD axle

Postby JohanVAN » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:43 pm

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum. I have recently bought a Ford Transit L4H3 from 2018. It drives great and am very happy with it.

For a conversion to a camper van I wanted to install Scopema swivels for the front two seats. The passenger seat was very easy to install. However for the driver's seat I had to lower the hand brake.
I managed to follow the instructions here: https://faroutride.com/swivel-transit/

I did all the steps except step 6.12 and 6.14.

I don't have a metal protector unit for the housing (step 6.12). Any ideas on what to use and how to attach it (step 6.14) would be great.
For step 6.14 it is unclear how the worm-drive clamp is attached and what it is attached to.

There is yet another bigger problem that occurs in my RWD. The S-shaped cable housing, as shown in the picture (from faroutride) is rubbing on the drive axle. (The rusted axle in the picture). It only rubs when the handbrake is in its lowered position. In its original position the S-shaped housing passes around the axle neatly.

How can I guide the housing around the axle with the handbrake in a lowered position?
- I'm thinking of cutting the rubber part of the housing, and pulling the cable through tighter, so that the S-shaped housing can remain in it's original position.
- Another option is bending the S-shaped housing to be more 'acute' or 'flat', so it can house the cable in its original length (including the rubber). Not sure about that, the metal is very hard to bend. I'm also just working on it laying under it, which isn't great.
Tomorrow I'm going to a garage to put it on a bridge so hopefully I and the people from the garage can come up with a solution.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohanVAN

Return to Camper vans and conversions