*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby johnteddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:03 pm

hi, ive taken photos of the van and gone with the microwave rather than gas bottle and cooker as i will use the microwave more often and it is ready to go. I keep the microwave in a large storage box and when i use it i put it on a fold down table at the back of the van. Is this acceptable or does the microwave need to be fitted in the van ? my power points are at the back of the van for both hook up and Inverter. all help with this much appreciated thanks!
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:26 pm

You need to read this very carefully:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/522756/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

It tells you EXACTLY what is required, under their interpretation of the law - and that's the cucial bit, as it leaves them free to change their mind as to what is required after any court rulings or legal advice or legal challenge.

So your microwave is ok - as long as it's fixed down or built in - freestanding on a table won't do I'm afraid.

Most application rejections in the last few years seem to have come from the the passage in bold on page one. It has to look like a camper from the outside.

I can understand the logic for this, suppose your van gets nicked, and the Police start looking for a blue Ford Transit campervan. It's possible that it could drive right past a patrol without them even noticing if it still looked too much like a regular commercial van.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi, i have another option that may be suitable. I have a gas hob and grill that sits on brackets. i strap in a gas bottle underneath etc. Would this be acceptable? everything in the van is designed to be removed, if need be to accommodate transporting motorcycles (tt races etc)and then convert for camping.Everything is screwed down but easily removed if need be . i just use it for camping with the family etc. Outside appearance is mk 6 swb white two blacked out windows (one either side ) a couple of go faster stripes around the bottom of the van with Ford painted through it in blue!. Its ugly enough to annoy the elders of the church where i park it. any help is appreciated Thank you.
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:10 pm

I'd just go with the microwave if that if your preferred option - you only need to box it into a cupboard or unit somehow, or show that it is clearly fixed down to a worktop.

If you go with gas, you will need to do a lot more work to make it comply with the regulations, which will cost you a considerably more, and it will need to be certified.

Removable is ok - many of the top end bespoke campers have removable kitchen pods that you can take down to the beach with you. It just needs to be securely fixed while in use and when driving. It's a safety thing at the end of the day.

I can't give any opinion on the appearance of your van - it totally depends on whether DVLA like the look of it or not i'm afraid.

All you can do is apply and see if they accept it.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:15 am

Ok mate, i will stick with the microwave option. Im a bit too keen to get it registered i think because the insurance is due. £479 is cheapest i could get. Dont know how much difference it would be for a camper. I only have one year no claims on the van as i use my no claims of 9yrs plus on the car. I will look into securing the microwave as you suggest and maybe apply in 6 months. (a new baby and a 6 yr old =not much time so i will see if i can get a unit of some sort for the van). Thanks Beaker much appreciate your time and help with this.
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:20 pm

All done! Ive now got a motor caravan and cheaper insurance.cheers Beaker!. :)
ps adrian flux quoted £280 . ive only got 12mnths no claims (other is on the car). so a good saving!.
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Does this apply to a day van/surf van conversion?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 am

if you have done everything you need to do on the list then you can get it changed to a motorcaravan. I eventually got a better deal than the Adrain Flux one .£249 with better cover etc so well worth doing.
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dugeza1973 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:09 am

hi converted mine with rocknroll bed fitted cupboards and a caravan 3way fridge , i sent my v5 and lots of evidence by photos of change with ones with reg in all sides inside and out , with a covering letter to explain in wrighting it took four weeks to grt it back but got it and also a filled in part of change of seat numbers on the v5 due to mine been a minibus ,this was all done for me . now it is classed on v5 as a motor caravan :D :D :D :D
dugeza1973
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andygee1138 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Hello all!
I have a 1989 Mk3 Transit Autosleeper Camper. It has always been a factory camper. I just checked the V% and Body Type says Panel Van! Have I been cheated? Can I apply for camper status??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
andygee1138
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Just follow the instructions at the beginning of thi thread and send it in to DVLA and they should change it all the self builds I’ve done for myself have been straight forward just covering letter and photos all the required items fitted to the van and logbook and with yours having been built by a professional company I Carnot see a problem.
I think there are a lot of professionals conversion that only call it a panel van so your not alone
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby susieandsam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 am

Staple all documents together Numtys at DVLA loose them
susieandsam

Postby thebarber » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 am

Apparently they changed rules in May.
Even if you ticked all the boxes on interior, sleeping,cooking etc. they still only class as 'Modified Van' which could leave you in a predicament for insurance.
It's all about what the vehicle looks like from the outside.
There's also a rumour that tax for 'new' motor homes is gonna go up by 705%
I'll try and find link.
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thebarber » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:05 am

thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pathfinder075 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:01 pm

My understanding is if you buy a newer plate a van with first registration after 01/04/2017 and convert it, it will cost £5000 in road tax for the first 5 years, unless its book price is over 40k (which is unlikely if you are DIY building it) But it only applies to 2017 plates and beyond. So buy an older van/transit and you are still on the old rules and you pay £260/year. Similarly buy a 2020 van in 2026 and it will cost you regular road tax amounts.

Alternatively get a bigger van to convert like a 4t Iveco and then you pay PHGV rates which are generally lower than LGV rates. Which I think is madness. But the numbers for a PHGV are like £200 in road tax

The road tax system is a complete mess from what I've read. All vans have a Euro standard. The DVLA sites seems to think that pretty much every van hasn't got one (because no Euro standard means more money in road tax). So if you buy a van that chugs black smoke out and barely makes it through an MOT or buy a green/lean van that produces very little emissions, it makes no real difference in how much road tax you pay. And now if you buy a newer model with the lowest emissions possible, you pay a stupid amount of road tax on it, which means people will only buy the older vans.
Pathfinder075
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions