*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby FredTransit » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:07 pm

just been into the post office and asked what you need to change the tax class to motor caravan. Answer - NOTHING. They will change it if you ask, when you go for the tax.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby ade.p » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 am

Forgive me being a little slow here - do you still need to send the pictures + form to the DVLA to change the registered vehicle type then, separately (and once you have the changed V5 back) you go to the post office for a change of taxable class and change of tax disc?
ade.p
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FredTransit » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 pm

the PO are doing the changes to the V5. The DVLA will have to issue the new amended V5 though. I assume the PO will send it off like they always have when theres a change of keeper. I would keep a copy just in case. The changes can only be made when you need to tax. Obviously now thats 6 or 12 months but that will change in october when the tax disc is no more.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby ade.p » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 am

FredTransit wrote:the PO are doing the changes to the V5. The DVLA will have to issue the new amended V5 though. I assume the PO will send it off like they always have when theres a change of keeper. [snipped]

So the post office will simply forward the paperwork and the DVLA still gets to decide if a conversion has passed its criteria?
As I said, I'm a little slow at times :oops:
ade.p
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FredTransit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:30 pm

No, the PO will change/authorise the change but they dont issue the V5. From what I was told by my PO they change the class.
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby ade.p » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Thank you. I'm not sure if the PO and the DVLA together are sending a consistent message. I spoke to the latter a couple of weeks ago and asked them about reregistration and they sent me an email with rather familiar content. However, only now rereading it to see about where to actually *send* the evidence, rather than just concentrating on the content of the evidence (as I had previously), I think DVLA are maybe giving outdated advice?

From DVLA on 10th Jan 2014:
Dear Mr ade.p

Not all vehicles, especially those that have been converted after 1st registration will be given the bodytype description of “Motorhome” on the V5C.

You must provide documentary evidence from the manufacturer or converter before any changes can be made. The documentary evidence will need to clarify the date on which the conversion took place. Photographs of the interior and exterior of the vehicle, which clearly show the numberplate, must also be provided.

Whilst the vehicle may meet all of the motor caravan internal checklist, this is no guarantee that the body type will be changed.

If a vehicle is to be converted to a motor home it must meet all 4 categories listed below. The information below are examples of what criteria needs to be met and at least 1 from each category must be present
If photographs are produced there should be images of at least 1 from each category.

Seats and a Table

• Integral part of vehicle living accommodation area, (mounted independently of other items).

• Table capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and/or sidewall.

• Table mounting arrangement secured is a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded) although table may be detachable.

• Seats secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or sidewall.

• Seats secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).

Sleeping Accommodation

• Integral part of vehicle living accommodation area.

• Either beds or beds converted from seats (i.e. to form a mattress).

• Secured as a permanent feature, (with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).

• Secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall, (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

Cooking Facilities

• Integral part of vehicle living accommodation (mounted independently of other items).

• Secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or sidewall.

• Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).

• Minimum of two ring cooking facility or microwave equipped in either case with fuel/power source.

Storage Facilities

• Cupboard / Locker

• Integral part of vehicle living accommodation (mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooker).

• Secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)

• Secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

If you could return all your evidence to DVLA, with your V5C (section 7 should be completed with the 'motorhome' body type and signed in section 8) to;

VCS
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

They will look into your application. You should get a response within a 4 week period.

I hope this helps.

They also told me over the telephone that if it's done by a professional, just send the receipt. If done by myself, I should also include all receipts for parts and (if applicable) labour.
ade.p
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Damnthevan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am

Hi guys, just joined the forum having bought a Transit Minibus to convert into a Camper for my retirement in 10 months time.
The idea was to convert it so that I can put my Kawasaki Cruiser inside rather than towing it and that is still the case.
However, I had planned to use lightweight camping foldaway equipment as tenters use.
Glad I read this thread first before splashing out on a load of gear so top marks for the person who started it and all contributions since.
I have a 2.4 Deisel 16 Seat minibus which already obviously has side windows.
I will be asking in other sections about performance as I also need it to tow a lightweight caravan on occasions and despite being recently serviced, appears sluggish?
Damnthevan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RODAT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Make sure you follow the guidelines mate.
RODAT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby matt86_wd2 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Most transits are sluggish, mine is even more now, I would imagine I have put 3/4 tonne of kit in there,

Matt
matt86_wd2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RODAT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I enquired about this after Fredtransit posted the info a while back. I went to the local PO with all my paperwork.They will change some classes when re taxing eg to or from disability vehicle and stuff like that, but they wont (cant)change to motorcaravan until it has been varified by DVLA.The PO will send your logbook/photos etc for you in a special dispatch bag that they send the other stuff to DVLA in.I then phoned DVLA and they basically said the same thing.Perhaps some po's dont understand the rules? Apart from anything else, I cant actually see the po counter staff having any idea what a campervan spec should be anyway!
On the other hand if you try it and can get away with it good on yer!
RODAT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm

sorry I even asked specially about motor caravan. PO, picking up where the DVLA left off!
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby RODAT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Apologies Im abit confused! If youre saying that the po are carrying on after the dvla have stopped doing this, how come the dvla did mine last week?
RODAT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby speedystew » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:51 pm

feel your pain RODAT, our local post office wont have anything to do with registering our van as a motorhome and also said they could not change the tax from lgv to plg but the dvla said they could sort it all out :D , I'm in no rush to change it as the tax is the same price and I spend most of the time towing race cars about so don't need the increased speed limit that comes with plg :)
if in doubt,flat out
speedystew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RODAT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Mines all sorted now.PO definitely wouldnt change it to motorcaravan.What will happen re this in the future I dont know, but suspect it will carry on being done at Swansea.
RODAT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MikeN » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 pm

I have re-registered two of my vans to motorcaravans (Jan 14) and another today (April 14).

The former came back within six weeks - I made a phone call to the DVLA beforehand and did a covering letter with good quality A4 sized photos attached, in the covering letter I identified what each photo was by number and matched it to the corresponding DVLA rule / requirement.

Did the same for the second van which had just been sold, so the V5 will come back to the new owner as a motorcaravan.

However, even if you get the vehicle's use changed on the V5, some insurance companies will still ask for an engineers report as the vehicles are not professionally built.

Anyway - Send to DVLA etc with the postcode SA99 1BA its the BA bit that's important for conversions.

Hope this helps.
MikeN
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions