*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ex-Lurker...

New member? Post here to say Hi, tell us about yourself and your Transit!

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

Ex-Lurker...

Postby Looney » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I've been on this forum for a few years now, mainly reading the Progress Reports forum.

Back in 2013 my Dad started a company supplying cellar gas (Co2 and nitrogen) to pubs, clubs and restaurants, I was his chief dogs body and we were 'gifted' a Mk7 Transit, MWB, medium roof, 85hp T260 (or T280) - It was no where near man enough for what we needed (as VOSA kindly told us) but needs must. I loved the van but it was far to tired too take any real pride in or to spend my own money on so I enjoyed it until the engine let go and it was replaced with a Trafic in similar disrepair.

Anyways, enough talk and here is a half decent picture of the van taken after delivering gas to a festival in Dorset...

Trying to keep this short - I loved my job but working under my Dad was hard work, really hard work. So I left, on good terms of course. I missed the job, regretted leaving and wished things could've been different. Fast forward about 18 months, my Dad tells me is going to relocate up country, after a bit of chatting, I asked about the business and he said "You can have it if you want it" - Brilliant!! The truth is, his heart wasn't in the business for various reasons.

I took it over on 1st August 2016 and haven't looked back since. I work long days and fairly relentlessly but I love it so why not! I have managed to turn the business around too, which I'm proud of. I carried on with the very tired Renault Trafic until it was too much last week. I had been toying with leasing a new van (not Transit for payload reasons) but I was sad that I couldn't properly scratch my Mk7 Transit itch!! I started looking at Mk7's and realised I could get something worth having for sensible money!

It had to be a T330 SWB low roof for payload reasons. I wanted a 125hp 6 speed because she will be loaded a lot of the time and I cover a lot of distance so a revvy 5 speed wasn't ideal. Wasn't really bothered about much else, just had to have reasonable miles and not be a dog.

I set a budget of £5,000 (+ VAT) and found just 1. 200 miles away in Rossendale but fit the bill perfectly. It was advertised for £5,475 + VAT - I thought, "I'll get that down" Nope!! I paid list :oops: :evil: But the van was cheap enough already and the only one close to the budget so I was happy paying list. It come with 12 months RAC warranty and breakdown cover also.

I'm smitten to say the least!! It's very nice to be driving something that doesn't feel like (and often was) falling to bits!

Anyways, I have a few plans for the van and will set up a progress thread soon enough.

As this is a welcome stage, I will tell you a little about me...

I'm Niall, from sunny Devon. I turned 27 last week (the day the Trafic decided enough was enough!) I'm very happily married to my beautiful wife Charlotte, currently saving for a house while living with her parents (long work hours help there :lol: ) I deliver gas in my Transit. That's it! 2 lines about me, a whole war and peace effort on the van!!

Speak and see you all soon, I'm sure!
Looney
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Ex-Lurker...

Postby RustWidow » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am

Congratulations, just remember, nothing worthwhile comes easy lol
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Looney » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks bud, I tell myself regularly :)
Looney
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:26 am

hello and welcome to the forum :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby andz327 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Howdy brother...... Out of intrest what weight are you going to be carrying??
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Looney » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Around the 1 ton mark, sometimes a bit more.
Looney
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Welcome