*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hi from Fleetwood

New member? Post here to say Hi, tell us about yourself and your Transit!

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

Hi from Fleetwood

Postby deadbeatdads » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:57 pm

New member from Fleetwood, joining as I have now got the task of maintaining son in laws Mk6 high top long wheel based Transit.
it's a 2001 model which was bought as seen for just over £600, to which I had to go with him to pick it up. It looks a nice tidy van should be white but sprayed in metallic blue.
After a few miles down the road he had to stop as it was making a grinding noise, so upon looking underneath at the front near side I couldn't see anything untoward so I told him to drive slow and steady the 2 miles home. Once we got home I jacked up the front nearside and noticed the front wheel was floating around with only the brake caliper keeping it on. Apparently a common fault wheel bearings collapsing so a new one ordered and a new shaft the bearing was pressed on and just needed the brake disks taking off old wheel bearing and swapping over. Brake disk came off a treat as I was warned these are not for coming off however they looked fairly new so maybe that's why they came off easy.
That job done and a quick look underneath all looks well apart from some new bulbs so it was entered for MOT. It failed on at least two pages of faults mail welding,inner sills chassis near the rear the rear spring hangers. It had no jack wheel brace so getting spare wheel off has been impossible so I've given son in law a list of parts to get so that I can get new panels welded onto it. Previous owner had covered up the rotten inner sills with thin strips of metal held on with a couple of tacks covered with underseal to make it look solid. Apparently the inner sills strip just peeled off using his little finger.
so I've listed new inner sills and out sills for the front end and sill repair panels for the sides, I do assume that repair panels for the inner sills for the side are not available?
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Hi from Fleetwood

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm

welcome to the forum mate :D
Luke
Site Admin

Return to Welcome