*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hi from Sunny Melbourne AUS

New member? Post here to say Hi, tell us about yourself and your Transit!

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

Hi from Sunny Melbourne AUS

Postby Tassiebloke » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 am

Hi Y'all,

Just wanted to say from down here :)

Proud owner of a MK7 12 seater. Bought it off Gumtree with a 'suspected blown motor' for next to nothing. There was oil in the coolant (thick sludge in the header tank, and engine bay covered in oil. The previous owners took it to a local 'mechanic', who promptly informed them it definitely needed a new engine and a quote for AUD$10K.

When I looked at the vehicle, I saw obvious signs that it had been maintained well. It has 400K km on it, pretty much all country km's. It has been regularly serviced since new, and it service books proved it. They had replaced all 4 injectors very recently. It has a new intake manifold etc. Starter motor looked about 6 months old. Complete new tailshaft front to back. Very recently replaced new brakes/discs all round etc etc. Interior/all 12 seats in excellent condition.

After lurking around here for a few hours, it became clear that it was with a high probability an oil cooler failure, so I decided to take the risk and pay AUD$1500.

Got it home, drained the coolant, flushed with Morning Bright dishwashing liquid (Pamolive just doesn't cut the mustard i'm afraid :lol: ) as best possible. Degreased the whole engine bay, inspected for any other obvious signs of failure, then changed the oil.

Started first kick. Sure enough, after joining the 2 coolant hoses and bypassing the oil cooler, oil started slowly come out of the cooler, and after idling for a while, it came out quite fast. Installed a new oil cooler, did some housekeeping in the engine bay, and now purring away like a dream!

Have a few questions to it all, but will post them later once this has been moderated.

Cheers,

Tassiebloke
2006 MK7 Minibus 2.4 140PS
Tassiebloke
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Hi from Sunny Melbourne AUS

Postby Altransit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 am

Welcome to the forum :D

Looks like you have yourself a bargain 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Baggins09 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Tassiebloke,

I am new on this forum myself, having just joined up and waiting for clearance to post. Great first post, just goes to show that if you take a risk sometimes in life, it pays off. It was a gamble you took but brilliant result, well done mate. With your kind of knowledge you should be repairing them for a living - or maybe you are, lol!!

cheers

Baggins09 :D
Taunton
Somerset
Baggins09

Postby Luke » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 am

welcome to the forum mate :D
Luke
Site Admin

Return to Welcome