*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Greetings from prospective buyer in Perth, Australia.

New member? Post here to say Hi, tell us about yourself and your Transit!

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

Greetings from prospective buyer in Perth, Australia.

Postby Seano » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:08 am

Hello Forum and thank you for this opportunity to learn about Ford Transits.

I am considering buying my very first Transit, and test-drove three different ones yesterday. The last one was a 2001 model with 'Tiptronic' transmission, and having no experience with such a gearbox arrangement, that is what prompted me to join here last night. I will follow the instructions provided and start a new thread in a tech section to ask that question, and hope to be back with further questions and any useful reports after I eventually lay down the cash and drive something home.

I also thank the admin for choosing phpBB software because I know this software as well as I would like to know my Transit when I meet her. Thank You.
Seano

Re: Greetings from prospective buyer in Perth, Australia.

Postby rebuilder86 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 am

hey im in perth, I bought a 99 VG 2.5 turbo diesel SWB low roof from a plasterer about 2 months ago.
Few issues but nothing show stopping.
They are a bit of a pain to work on (engine crammed in to smallest space), and not as easy to get parts as other vans, and also not as cheap to get parts.
my recommendations for things to check
Prop shaft Centre bearing
Front wheel bearings (not a big deal but indicative of service)
OIl leaks from main seals, (visible at transmission bellhousing and just in front of oil pan behind crank pulley)
Ensure all pulleys are rotating perfectly round, with no visible vibration or out of roundness, as the harmonic balancer (main pulley) is expensive to replace here in oz.
Power steering leaks
if turbocharged, just somethign so simple as checking the air filter before purchase. If its caked in grime, then it will have collapsed and no longer be filtering air and the turbo will likely be cactus soon.
All other replaceables and consumables are relitively simple and the diesel engine itself is indestructable.
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Seano » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:23 pm

rebuilder86 wrote:... the diesel engine itself is indestructable.

Good morning and thanks for your reply Rebuilder86, especially the checklist. That is good to know because I have rebuilt petrol engines before but have no experience with diesels. I noticed on Gumtree that a lot of the 1999+ Transit diesels seem to be listed cheap with the disclaimer, "Needs new diesel fuel-injector pump" which apparently costs thousands to replace for both parts and labour.

What you mention about the air filter on a turbo is good advice. I would never have thought of it. I will have a look when I go up again today, in fact, I'll have a look when I get home again because I called him back yesterday and promised to be there this arvo with the cash.

PS: Excuse my forgetfulness. It's only 6:30 and I'm still half-asleep.

Your point about pulleys rotating perfectly is a great point that I've never paid much attention to before, buying cars with petrol engines. I do look at the belts while it's idling and listen for squeaks etc., but your point reminds me that the one I have decided on, which was the last one driven on ANZAC Day, had noticably smooth-running belts for the power-steering pump as well as the water pump. It just occurred to me that the trueness of the bearings and the axles on these pumps is what makes the belts run smooth, and how true the pulleys spin over the years depends upon how brutal the mechanics are on the whole apparatus under the bonnet. Hence, if it looks like that last one I drove on Wednesday, that's a sign that it has been babied by its various diesel mechanics in its lifetime.

It was a noticable difference on that well-kept, family-business (regular service as tax deduction) 2001 diesel compared to the other two I looked at that day, which were much like the average $1000 bomb I'm used to test-driving. Good point, and it adds some reassurance for the intended drive home across the river tonight.
Seano

Postby rebuilder86 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:14 pm

yeh the one i bought, just had a new lucas epic pump installed before i bought it, they cost anywhere form a grand to 2 grand. however, dont let that scare you, in a diesel, there is none of the exensive never ending replacement of garbage u face in a petrol engine, its all reliant on the diesel injector pump. so, no more coils, no more sensors, no more throttle body air leaks, no more engine codes, no more fuel pumps, no more anything to do with an ignition system. that is a big big plus on maintenance.
However, the diesel is mroe prone to oil leaks so be prepared to have a piece of cardboard ready for the day it DOES start dripping oil on ur beautiful driveway haha
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Seano » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:02 am

rebuilder86 wrote:... a new lucas epic pump installed before i bought it, they cost anywhere form a grand to 2 grand.

Indeed, that was the general feeling I gleaned from all the gumtree ads I read this past week. My guess is thast you are quoting parts only, not labour. I have heard the figure of $4,000 muttered around the place last week, inc. labour that is.

Interestingly, the first 1999 model I test-drove had had the Lucas fule-injector pump replaced with a Bosch alternative, and it ran fine, and the vendor told me that the Bosch was a lot more reliable than the Lucas. I wouldn't know now, because I have now purchased a 'Tiptronic' electronic manual 2001 model which has had the original Lucas pump replaced with another Lucas pump, so all I can do is cross my fingers and save my money for that rainy day when it comes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seano

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:32 pm

hello and welcome to the forum :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Altransit » Fri May 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Welcome