*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New Tourneo Owner

New member? Post here to say Hi, tell us about yourself and your Transit!

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

New Tourneo Owner

Postby dunketh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:32 am

Morning. Just bought a Tourneo from the dreaded ebay.
Had some fun with insurance (it seems most companies frankly don't know what to do with these) but all sorted now.
So far I'm pretty impressed.
Early impressions:
The 125ps TDCI can't get anywhere near my old 100bhp DTI Zafira for outright speed but then she is dragging more weight and air resistance... that said its a lot smoother and even quieter than the VX lump - acceleration however is frankly silly for a big van.
Arch lips are grotty, shes done 260k on the clock and the panel gaps on one sliding door are terrible - though it still shuts fine. Other than the above this in very good nick and the seats are like being hugged by a big sofa.

I guess you could call me converted. I'd always been a Ford man in the past and am somewhat saddened to find they still rust (the same-age Zafira is galvanised - Why Ford why??) but I'm already being won over by the big bus's character.

Hoping to do some minor mods just to tidy her up. The rear windows don't open but I'm sure I've seen some with opening 'flaps' or whatever in the glass. Also there's no rev counter so some dash upgrades might be on the cards.
Being a Mk6 she already has the nicer looking (if less aggressive) front end so that'll stay as it is. Local scrappy has no less than 6 in stock so I'll be off to grab a towbar later for my trailer. :)
If it looks stupid but it works, it's not stupid ;)
dunketh

Re: New Tourneo Owner

Postby Altransit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:42 am

Welcome to the forum :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby davrosdalek » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi folks,

@dunketh - I've just done the same as you, bought a 2005 Tourneo 9 seater (8+1driver) a few days back. Impressed with the van so far, but boy do I wish I'd done my homework on the insurance - insane prices quoted as its a 'minibus'. Might I ask where you got yours sorted out please? Many thanks to anyone who can help - I seem to have been on the phone for 3 days trying quotes.. :-(

Cheers
David
davrosdalek
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 pm

welcome to the forum mate :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby davrosdalek » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks folks, appreciate all the info that is here!
Cheers
David
davrosdalek
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:32 pm

David i would start a thread in the main sections on here - you will get more people see it - can you not convert yours to 8 seater and change it on the log book with the dvla :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby dunketh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Got my insurance down from quotes between 900 and 1500!! to 570 in the end. Still twice what a car policy would be but cheaper than I initially found.
I'm 38 with 7 yrs no claims though, clean licence and history.
I'm also lucky in that my disabled in-laws often come out with us as a family and have offered to pay half the premium annually.
I cant remember the brokers name now but will post it up later... I've got it at work. They understood my situation - a guy buying a bus for family transport, said they weren't concerned about 9 seats.

Work's already started. I dug out half the van's weight in mud from the arches, bumpers and chassis and have undersealed most of it now. Next job is to rub down and spray the bumpers. My bus is gloss black and matches the cheap generic 'gloss black' paint my parts place sells so its nice and cheap.

Tow bar, doors adjustment and a set of clocks with a rev counter next plus some trim bits.. can't find any decent 2nd hand so I'll be repairing what I've got.

BTW: I paid 1050 for mine on ebay - couldn't seem to find any cheaper than that. These things seem to hold value more than the old 7 seaters do.
dunketh

Postby dunketh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 am

dunketh

Postby davrosdalek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks all for the info - yes, I ended up going for Connect Insurance - I spoke to Tom there and he was great. Cheapest I could find and a refreshing lack of BS

https://www.connect-insurance.co.uk/quo ... elect.php#

Way in excess of my car policy but I will have to suck it up this year and look to the idea of removing the rear 3 seat bench and asking DVLA on bended knee to re-class as 6 seater , body type van (instead of current 9 seat minibus which appears to be the reason for the crazy premiums).

Cheers
David
davrosdalek
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby davrosdalek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 am

Luke wrote:David i would start a thread in the main sections on here - you will get more people see it - can you not convert yours to 8 seater and change it on the log book with the dvla :?:

I'll do that - thanks!
David
davrosdalek
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby david.reid83 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:51 pm

You tried go compare that's who we use and saved ££££

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MyungWillis » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 pm

I don't know exactly the size of your bus but if you are talking about minibus then this site ( https://www.compareminibusinsurance.co.uk/ ) would help you to search minibus insurance quotes. However, without a complete research, you should not rely on any insurer or insurance policy.
MyungWillis

Postby david.reid83 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 pm

When we first had our van it had to be insured via a minibus insurance but only in the past few years van insurance will take a van up to 8 seats plus the driver and seam to be cheaper.

Our first insurance with 9 years no claims that we transferred over from the car was still 1
£1500 a year and I was getting told that I’m at the minimum premium and it couldn’t get any cheaper due to insurance regulations, but now I’m £450 a year using compare the market sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby davrosdalek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks for your replies folks - really useful.

I managed to get my insurance down to £500 yesterday based on the plan to take the back 3 seat bench out and let DVLA / insurance company know when done. Which is a massive bonus, £300 cheaper than the cheapest policy I took out (and subsequently cancelled yesterday) last week. To give some context, thats fully comp with a 9 year NCD bonus and a total of 3 x unexpired SP30 fines between the 2 drivers on the policy.

I got this through A-Plan Insurance - https://www.aplan.co.uk

The underwriter of the policy is Aviva who have accepted the vehicle as a 6-seater.

Hope that's useful info, thanks again for the help here.
David
davrosdalek
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Welcome