*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which Charity?

Look in here for details of the fourms weekend makeover project. We will be doing a Transit restoration project over a few weekends and auctioning it off for charity once completed. Everyone is welcome to come along and take part.

Moderator: Luke

Re: Which Charity?

Postby rvm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

hi, has there got to be one charity or could there be a couple or more smaller ones who don't get much of a mention but work just as hard. you could have a child one and a adult one or something like that :D
rvm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm

rvm wrote:hi, has there got to be one charity or could there be a couple or more smaller ones who don't get much of a mention but work just as hard. you could have a child one and a adult one or something like that :D

no it could be more than 1 charity - it's what everyone on here wants we can vote to make it democratic :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby rvm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

hi, for my money i would choose air ambulance because i have done a hell of a lot of miles in my past as proberly most of you :D and i have seen many a crash and if it wasn't for the air ambo there would be a lot more deaths than there is. i hope i never need them but its rearsuring that they are there :D :D :D . ian.
rvm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nadjenka » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Luke wrote:

MONSTER 0NE wrote:how about the Joshua foundation ? this charity gives children with terminal illnesses there last wishes.

gravelrash2004 wrote:http://www.acorns.org.uk/

barabas wrote:Great Ormond Street and see if there is a piece of kit that they really need and try to meet the cost of purchasing that, then there is something solid and real that can be attributed to the FTF project.

Just to bring this up again... :D I have been on the case for couple of days now, gathering as much information as possible about the charities above. Only - G man - your suggestion isn't a charity, or am I missing something? :? Please confirm. :D

I am going to post a little introduction for each charity, so we can have it all in one place and see the little differences between them. More I'm on it, the more I thing that to decide which one to choose is going to be bigger task than building a 16 wheeler :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

IN GENERAL - they are all children and youth charities, all trying to help in their different ways (which I'll describe below). They are all happy for us to aim for certain thing to be bought with the money from the project (rather than throwing donation into a pool of other donations) and obviously they are all happy for this "thing" to be officially donated by Ford Transit Forum. :D Depending on how much money we'll aim to raise, they all have sort of "shopping list" of items that would be desirable in their centres, hospices, or list of experiences for ill children. I'll be posting the lists as they arrive to me, in the meantime - if you have any questions, or more suggestions, shoot away :D
1995 Mk5 150 LWB Minibus - camper-to-be - Lola's story :mrgreen:
1999 Mk5 190 LWB 2.5TDi, automatic, story has started :twisted:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby g-man » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:45 pm

your right nadj,that is'nt the link to the charity,it was a one off,sadly the little lad did'nt make it :( ,i'm not bothering suggesting another,so long as it's a good one i'm not bothered :D
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nadjenka » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

g-man wrote:your right nadj,that is'nt the link to the charity,it was a one off,sadly the little lad did'nt make it :( ,i'm not bothering suggesting another,so long as it's a good one i'm not bothered :D

aaaahhh, that makes sense now, sorry to hear that. :(
1995 Mk5 150 LWB Minibus - camper-to-be - Lola's story :mrgreen:
1999 Mk5 190 LWB 2.5TDi, automatic, story has started :twisted:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ambulanceman wayne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:26 pm

hi i know of a charity that people work 24 hours a day 365 days a year and dont get a penny for there work.this is a local first responder team they have to use there own cars and buy there own kit some times going to the hard to reach places to save peoples life ie if some one has a cardiac arest in there own area they have kit to keep people stable untill a ambulance arrives this sceam IS NOT a red cross or st jhons sceam so has to fund it self poss the van might be of use to them a good cause i think ????????????
ambulanceman wayne
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby xailsax » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 am

Wow seems crazy that first response is volenteer staffed i never knew that, I would totally support them as a charity just read some more info on them (http://www.wmas.nhs.uk/our_services/typ ... nders.aspx)

How would be go about donating to them though as each group seems to fund itself?

Ailsa
xailsax
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby screechowl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:15 pm

I the midst of all the news about disaster in Japan I was getting really depressed & felt sick to watch TV to see no end to their misery, no light at the end of the tunnel for them, the possibility of helping them seemed absolutely futile. What help was being publicised seemed hugely inadequate to me. Then, on The One Show there was a spokesman for Shelter Box & he made me smile & feel optimistic for the survivors AT LAST. He was explaining how they make a kit comprising of a basic shelter & inside everything needed for a family to survive: food, bedding, cooking utensils, cleaning, toiletries, first aid box & even a box of toys for kiddies! He told how they had already landed thousands of them & there were thousands ready to go! I could imagine what a comfort & life saver a shelter like this would be if I was stranded out in the open, devastated, cold & starving. I know its an international one & I agree that a smaller charity is better, but I had to mention this one as it made my day when I heard about it. http://www.shelterbox.org
screechowl
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby samson » Sun May 01, 2011 6:52 pm

screechowl wrote:I the midst of all the news about disaster in Japan I was getting really depressed & felt sick to watch TV to see no end to their misery, no light at the end of the tunnel for them, the possibility of helping them seemed absolutely futile. What help was being publicised seemed hugely inadequate to me. Then, on The One Show there was a spokesman for Shelter Box & he made me smile & feel optimistic for the survivors AT LAST. He was explaining how they make a kit comprising of a basic shelter & inside everything needed for a family to survive: food, bedding, cooking utensils, cleaning, toiletries, first aid box & even a box of toys for kiddies! He told how they had already landed thousands of them & there were thousands ready to go! I could imagine what a comfort & life saver a shelter like this would be if I was stranded out in the open, devastated, cold & starving. I know its an international one & I agree that a smaller charity is better, but I had to mention this one as it made my day when I heard about it. http://www.shelterbox.org

and in the end its the dogs that find them ,its the dogs that guide them, its the dogs that can detect them, our best friend is the one that deserves it ,
south yorkshire transport museum ,
just put in sytm and you will find us
18th meadowhall rally
samson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

German shepherd rescue

Postby screechowl » Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am

and in the end its the dogs that find them ,its the dogs that guide them, its the dogs that can detect them, our best friend is the one that deserves it ,[/quote]

http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk
screechowl
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue May 03, 2011 7:32 am

there are good and bad breed "rescues" some dont bother to contact the breeder of the dogs where in most cases the dog would always have a home :evil:

a good one
St Bernard Trust :D
No: 328193
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby samson » Tue May 03, 2011 8:01 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:there are good and bad breed "rescues" some dont bother to contact the breeder of the dogs where in most cases the dog would always have a home :evil:

a good one
St Bernard Trust :D
No: 328193

only good and bad owners , :evil: dogs do what they are taught to do just like kids
18th meadowhall rally
samson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

I don't mean the dogs or owners I mean some of the rescue organizations
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby samson » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:I don't mean the dogs or owners I mean some of the rescue organizations

them that want sorting out ,some good some bad
18th meadowhall rally
samson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Weekend makeover - Forum charity project!